Search the forum,

Discuss Understanding This Mechanism. in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, I have a leak from a mechanism that I simply don`t understand which appears to be the cable housing. Its leaking from the joint which is held by 2 screws. There are 2 holes with seals inside and water comes from them when the cover is off. After removing the cover I noted there was no gasket inside, but i don`t think there ever was? I don`t understand its purpose, or why you would need it especially as it doesn`t appear to need a gasket/rubber seal? I hope the pics are of help? Thanks.

5.jpg
1.jpg

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 16
Looks like a whirlpool bath drain.
The connections that are capped of with the brass caps would be to drain the side jets, presumably not fitted on your bath.

Looks like a whirlpool bath drain.
The connections that are capped of with the brass caps would be to drain the side jets, presumably not fitted on your bath.
Hi, no my bath doesn't have jets. The problem is it leaks from the joint where it screws back on as there is no gasket. Would some mastic sort this. Can I block this off to save changing the whole unit. Thanks.

I can’t really see properly. If it’s leaking from the brass caps, it’s likely because they don’t have rubber washers inside.

If it’s leaking from the centre tee piece connection that slips on to the stub with 2 o rings, it’s because the o rings are worn or the tee has to be in a certain orientation and is isn’t.

Yes should be fine siliconing it on the gasket line around the permitter

I can’t really see properly. If it’s leaking from the brass caps, it’s likely because they don’t have rubber washers inside.

If it’s leaking from the centre tee piece connection that slips on to the stub with 2 o rings, it’s because the o rings are worn or the tee has to be in a certain orientation and is isn’t.
Hi, no not leaking from the brass caps, so it must be the 2 o rings. I think I will just seal this up as its not needed. The water flows from a hole in the the opposite side which I can see with the overflow pipe off, and then comes through the 2 holes you can see in the picture. I am still surprised that the plastic casing housing the 2 brass caps does not come with a gasket in the event of o ring failure. By sealing it up, it will avoid replacing the whole unit. Thanks.

Reply to Understanding This Mechanism. in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock