Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss unhappy at quote? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

moony

whats your thoughts on changing rads and prices?

and do you offer discount on say 6-9 rads at once.

ive only recently started up on my own. always thought i priced jobs pretty well....

200 for a rad change including rad....

recently got a job...

7 rad changes - slight pipework alterations on each one nothing major...
new valves and trvs on a combi....

quoted 900 which i think was cheap - said i was too expensive...

rads were

600 x 1600 type 21
600 x 500 single panel convector
600 x 1000 type 21
600 x 800 singles panel
600 x 800 single panel
600 x 1400 single panel
600 x 1600 type 21

new trvs and valves

any thoughts???

If you can offer a discount you are too expensive !
If you have covered your materials, your wages and your overheads your price is right .
Walk away

whilst most of us on here would seem to agree its not always straight forward to qoute for some peoples work I think a lot of the time you can offer alternatives depending on how desperate you are for the work ie let them supply materials --you supply labour only and offer to try to match any written quote [if too cheap you can always say you cant match it]
lastly look at the bigger picture will you get more work out of this in the future with the work climate at the moment for many of us sometimes a little sacrifice can go a long way good luck what ever you decide regards turnpin:)

Re: how much do you charge to change a rad?

Think the quote is ok,materials ,what around £530 cost,£350 labour ,seems fair,I would have been more,trouble is labour gives room for maneuver for someone who really needs the work and cheap materials can be used
You are going to hit this all the time,maybe give him the option of providing materials and give your day rate,ask what the other price was,if you were close he will say,also you have to take into account the other person may have under priced materials
Maybe if he does not give you price or gives you the price,say £50 less,just say,do,nt think can match but will check with supplier,think about it,if you need it,ring back and say rads on offer from next week,can get cheaper thermostatic valves,if can wait can match price or you have sourced another supplier with rads on offer
I do this,never make your self look desperate and taking all from labour as this gives the customer the upper hand or at least they think they have and will try it on more,also looks like you were over charging in the first place,which will go against you
There are a lot of cheap rads going around at the moment due to bankrupt stock also
Also who are you quoting against,could be some odd job man
If you are quite and was hoping for job ,it is hard to lose out but maybe if you know quote accepted,it would become clear it was not worth doing
If you think the market is tight now,hate to say it, but it is going to get worse before it gets better

But remember you can always come down from a quote,you can not go up,so keep those initial quotes at a fair reasonable price and go from their

just some thought

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally charge 325 per rad and that was reduced from the 400 i was looking to charge before that so 200 per 1 incl of units parts etc etc

You the payin public out there are.................

HAVING A LAUGH!!!!!!! I would like to see you do it yourself.

the thing that gets me is that the tightest people out there are all on about 70k a year themselves they wouldnt get out of bed for 150 200 a day so why the should we!!!!!!!!

whats your thoughts on changing rads and prices?

and do you offer discount on say 6-9 rads at once.

ive only recently started up on my own. always thought i priced jobs pretty well....

200 for a rad change including rad....

recently got a job...

7 rad changes - slight pipework alterations on each one nothing major...
new valves and trvs on a combi....

quoted 900 which i think was cheap - said i was too expensive...

rads were

600 x 1600 type 21
600 x 500 single panel convector
600 x 1000 type 21
600 x 800 singles panel
600 x 800 single panel
600 x 1400 single panel
600 x 1600 type 21

new trvs and valves

any thoughts???
er, yeh.
7 rads at £200 each is £1400...
what sort of discount were you offering????.

in all honesty the price has got to be cost of materials plus how long it will take you..if all goes well and no pipework probs you could do a long day and do the lot so 200-250 labour or spill over into 2 days and take a hit on labour and charge about 300.00 labour

I was talking to my mate about this last month(he subs for bg doing repairs)

they price it this way roughly

£160 supply and fit (stelrad+both valves) if rad less than 1m in length
£300 supply and fit (as above) if rad is between 1-2m long

so basically from what he said, 'bg can for talking sake supply and fit a 600hx1100w or 700hx1900w(both rads work out the same price) double panel stelrad compact with new valves for (vat already Inc)£300

to me that sounds nuts! All the money from that £300 is going towards. The rad cost. No-one can compete at this price surely

maybe this is where smaller companies are losing out?

a 1600x600 double convector and valves down sarf is 150.00 and i would fit for 100.00 so at 250.00 still cheaper than the enemy

er, yeh.
7 rads at £200 each is £1400...
what sort of discount were you offering????.

red, 200 if they phone me up and want one rad fitting....

obviously if its a small rad i'll do it a little cheaper not much though...

i can do the 7 rads in a day, so thought i could offer a discount as im there for the day etc - so knocked it down to 900 which i think is a massive discount on my normal rate.

parts come to around 500 so would be 400 labour 2 men for a day...

and im too expensive :(

Whats the two men all about?
without checking properly i recon i could get 7 x rads (10 year gaurentee) and valves for £250.00 to £300.00 tops plus another £300.00 to cover going back on 2nd day for an hour or 2 but u would be going badly wrong somewhere to not get that done in one day one man.
Dont wear a mask at weekends do ya dick?
Only joking serious rethink needed you cant quote realistically and pay a wage aswell!

If you can offer a discount you are too expensive !
If you have covered your materials, your wages and your overheads your price is right .
Walk away

i normally charge 200 per rad if its just the one.

i have discounted that massively due to, 7 all being in same house no running round and can get stuck in.
i still get a days wage for me and my employee, but they say its too expensive?

think your right i will walk away.

i have no doubtthat u will get jobs,even pricing like this,
but i am o the opinion that any one can get a job once, they may not say anything and hand the money over but when they need someone again it wont be u that they ring pal.
You need to look after customers gain their trust,
I know my customers will ring me and only me,they on the most accept my prices and i do work for some overand over again,
Id rather be busy and earn a little less and have happy customers.
Iam not new to the buisness and it works!

single rad i would charge 100.00 but this i would base on day rate so between 2-400 would seem right but i would expect to get this done in a day so 200.00 labour if using a apprentice etc then max of 300.00

Whats the two men all about?
without checking properly i recon i could get 7 x rads (10 year gaurentee) and valves for £250.00 to £300.00 tops plus another £300.00 to cover going back on 2nd day for an hour or 2 but u would be going badly wrong somewhere to not get that done in one day one man.
Dont wear a mask at weekends do ya dick?
Only joking serious rethink needed you cant quote realistically and pay a wage aswell!

prs - quote for rads new valves 6 trvs and 8 lockshields, 10m of 10mm pipe, bottle of inhibitor 490 quid.

i want 300 a day, and the other lad gets a hundred. and two of the old rads are 2 metres long, im not getting that out from upstairs on my own, without damaging anything.

wear a mask weekends?

so you would want 300 for the labour ? same as me. what would you do about the big rads?

the materials your getting seem cheap? you must have good terms, the rads i put in are purmo rads, 2 of the rads are 90 quid each.

i dunno each to there own, but i think its a cheap price to be honest

Think the quote is ok,materials ,what around £530 cost,£350 labour ,seems fair,I would have been more,trouble is labour gives room for maneuver for someone who really needs the work and cheap materials can be used
You are going to hit this all the time,maybe give him the option of providing materials and give your day rate,ask what the other price was,if you were close he will say,also you have to take into account the other person may have under priced materials
Maybe if he does not give you price or gives you the price,say £50 less,just say,do,nt think can match but will check with supplier,think about it,if you need it,ring back and say rads on offer from next week,can get cheaper thermostatic valves,if can wait can match price or you have sourced another supplier with rads on offer
I do this,never make your self look desperate and taking all from labour as this gives the customer the upper hand or at least they think they have and will try it on more,also looks like you were over charging in the first place,which will go against you
There are a lot of cheap rads going around at the moment due to bankrupt stock also
Also who are you quoting against,could be some odd job man
If you are quite and was hoping for job ,it is hard to lose out but maybe if you know quote accepted,it would become clear it was not worth doing
If you think the market is tight now,hate to say it, but it is going to get worse before it gets better

But remember you can always come down from a quote,you can not go up,so keep those initial quotes at a fair reasonable price and go from their

just some thought

imho

puddle your spot on pal, materials will come to around 540, its 490 for the rads and valves and then the copper, clips, inhibitor and whatever else i need on top of that.

cheers for the advice, have took it all in.

Think some of you lads need to look on here. Some of their bigger double rads are £30 cheaper than the same size at Screwfix, who are already cheap themselves. The rads have 12 yr guarantees.

Buildnet. Single Panel Radiator

If customers are looking for the very cheapest quotes in these difficult times, you need to forget fitting premium brands and give them what they want, ie, the cheapest. Otherwise you will nearly always loose out on jobs.

problem is they want cheap cheap but lookee nice nice you have to explain their options clearly ie materials you can vary a bit but labour rate is the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to unhappy at quote? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock