Discuss Unvented cylinder installed but no G3 qualification in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I had an unvented cylinder (and gas boiler) installed by a Gas Safe Register engineer. He later informed Gas Safe Register which issued me a gas certificate. But Gas Safe Register told me I should have a Building Regulation Certificate for unvented cylinder installation.

But the gas engineer did not arrange that unvented cylinder certificate for me.
I checked he has no G3 qualification.

Is this the reason he did not arrange that unvented cylinder certificate (via Gas Safe Register ) for me?

What would happen or what consequence will be if he is not G3 qualification?

Well, in the best case scenario which is that the installation meets all requirements of the building regulations and has been installed correctly by sheer luck, then the consequence could be nothing until you come to sell the house.

On the other hand, the system might not be safe to use at all.

1. It is YOUR responsibility to register the installation of an unvented hot water cylinder with Building Control at your local council.
2. A G3 registered installer will be registered with a competent persons scheme, run by an accredited organisation such as NAPIT or Gas Safe (and for Gas Safe it is different from the competent persons scheme for gas related work). There are others.
3. Normally a G3 registered person will self certify that the installation meets required standards, and notify Building Control, or provide you with the necessary documentation to notify Building Control.
4. If the installer doesn't do it, Building Control will inspect the installation and sign it off, but they will charge you several hundred pounds for the privilege.
5. If the installer was an employee of a firm, that firm may be registered, in which case you should be able to get them to do what is necessary.
6. They aren't really supposed to do it, but you might find a G3 registered installer prepared to check the installation and issue the necessary paperwork.
7. Don't forget such installations require an annual service at around £85 (outer London).

Stick some photos up of the cylinder install.

If the install is compliant then no issues. If you come to sell and you have no building regs certificate for it then you simply procure an indemnity policy which works out at a fraction of the cost of building regs notification.

Also as a general note people need to make sure that the tradespeople they employ have the necessary competencies and qualifications for the job.

Well, in the best case scenario which is that the installation meets all requirements of the building regulations and has been installed correctly by sheer luck, then the consequence could be nothing until you come to sell the house.

On the other hand, the system might not be safe to use at all.
The gas engineer is GSR registered, but not G3 qualified, therefore I guess he did not arrange the unvented cylinder installation certificate to me....

1. It is YOUR responsibility to register the installation of an unvented hot water cylinder with Building Control at your local council.
2. A G3 registered installer will be registered with a competent persons scheme, run by an accredited organisation such as NAPIT or Gas Safe (and for Gas Safe it is different from the competent persons scheme for gas related work). There are others.
3. Normally a G3 registered person will self certify that the installation meets required standards, and notify Building Control, or provide you with the necessary documentation to notify Building Control.
4. If the installer doesn't do it, Building Control will inspect the installation and sign it off, but they will charge you several hundred pounds for the privilege.
5. If the installer was an employee of a firm, that firm may be registered, in which case you should be able to get them to do what is necessary.
6. They aren't really supposed to do it, but you might find a G3 registered installer prepared to check the installation and issue the necessary paperwork.
7. Don't forget such installations require an annual service at around £85 (outer London).
Thank you for your detailed reply!
For 1, This I can do. But the concern is the installer did not arrange the unvented cylinder installation certificate via GSR which confirmed to me that I do need this!
2, The installer is registered with GSR, but not G2 qualified for unvented cylinder.
3, Yes, but he did not. Only arranged the boiler gas certificate via GSR which told me I do need separate unvented cylinder certificate.
4, That will be the last step. As the installer should issue or arrange that unvented cylinder installation certificate himself, right?
5, The installer has a business himself. Not work for a company.
6, OK, so I can find someone with G3 registered installer to check and issue the paperwork---this should be before I arrange Building Control to do it, right?
7, Thank you for this reminder!

Stick some photos up of the cylinder install.

If the install is compliant then no issues. If you come to sell and you have no building regs certificate for it then you simply procure an indemnity policy which works out at a fraction of the cost of building regs notification.

Also as a general note people need to make sure that the tradespeople they employ have the necessary competencies and qualifications for the job.
Thank you Simon!

indemnity policy seems a good idea as I heard building regs notification/Building Control cost is hundreds of pounds...

I attached photos for your reference, if you need more detailed photos or different angles please let me know!

I understand your general note, but I assume many normal customers/household people won't know what qualifications to do the gas jobs. I knew he was worcester bosch accredited installer, I knew he is GSR registered, I thought that was enough.
But only GSR today confirmed to me I do need unvented cylinder installation certification which only can be issued by G3 qualified engineer....

Attachments

• Cylinder.jpeg
    Cylinder.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 67
  • expension vessel.jpeg
    expension vessel.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 72
Thank you Simon!

indemnity policy seems a good idea as I heard building regs notification/Building Control cost is hundreds of pounds...

I attached photos for your reference, if you need more detailed photos or different angles please let me know!

I understand your general note, but I assume many normal customers/household people won't know what qualifications to do the gas jobs. I knew he was worcester bosch accredited installer, I knew he is GSR registered, I thought that was enough.
But only GSR today confirmed to me I do need unvented cylinder installation certification which only can be issued by G3 qualified engineer....
Looks like it's fitted correctly, and overall not a bad job. I've seen qualified G3 engineers do much worse of job, and leave them in dangerous conditions...

I'd leave it, it's fitted now. You'll struggle to get anyone else to sign it off, and the cost of getting it authorised by Building control will just be not worth it.

Looks fine only nit pick is combo / inlet valve not above cylinder but that’s only a real issue when servicing cylinder just needs to be drained

Reply to Unvented cylinder installed but no G3 qualification in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock