Discuss Uphill toilet waste in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am fitting a new toilet for a friend. The existing waste pipe comes out of the wall for about 75cm and then there is a 90 deg bend to pan connector. The previous toilet was a low level suite with the new one being a close coupled suite. The existing waste pipe is higher than the pan outlet and with the 90 deg bend horizontal then I can fit a 40mm offset pan connector to reach it. It all seems okay and there are no leaks however now the waste from the pan has a restriction as the 40mm pan connector has a smaller inside diameter than a normal pan connector so I can see problems with blockages if too much loo paper is used. In addition the bottom seal to the toilet pan now has water in it all the time so I am wondering if there may be long term issues with leaks. It is a good quality McAlpine pan connector.

The wall the waste goes through is about 500mm thick, when the bathroom was fitted it was a retro fit and it looks like a large hole was made in the wall for all the wastes and then filled with cement.

Any comments on the set up would be appreciated especially as there is a second toilet with similar issues.

so you are offsetting down to the pan ??? this will definetely cause problems

Yes, are there any other options besides redoing the waste through the wall? This is quite a big job as it is cemented in and the wall is very thick, in addition the bath waste goes in to the wall behind the toilet waste but when it comes out of the wall it is in front of the toilet waste so it must cross over inside the wall somewhere so trying to core drill below the toilet waste will probably go through the bath waste.

sounds like a nightmare, you got any pictures ?

It doesn't sound ideal, will the pan connector be hidden ? some plumbers mait would surely prevent any leakages but then you have blockages to consider, you could try it out with some toilet roll.

Last edited:
A offset connecter is defo the wrong way to go im afraid, yes it can be stoped from leaking easy enough but thats not the correct way to do it. either chip out cement and re do pipework or raise the toilet on some kind of plynth wich will look awfull... best get your hammer and bolster out im afraid!

give him a roll of denso and a plunger and he will be fine..........................honest

lol-022.gif

Thanks for all the advice. I think raising the toilet may be the way to go initially. I can make a plinth to try it and see what it looks like and how it functions. I think the ready made plinths are for particular ranges of toilets and so may not be suitable for the toilet I have fitted. If raising the toilet is acceptable to my friend then I can investigate if there is a suitable ready made plinth for his particular toilet.
I haven't got any photos as my friend lives 80 miles away and I am not going to see him for a couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Uphill toilet waste in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock