Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Vent pipe discharging hot to F&E tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

desmo

I have a conventional, old fashioned indirect system.Feed/exp and cold storage tanks in loft. Cylinder in bathroom below. Over thesummer, as usual, I've been set to "hot water only". The HW used tobe gravity (22mm pipes to/from boiler) but a few years ago a plumber fitted apump on the return from the cylinder. On "water only" the upstairsrads get warm; at present only got one open. No recent mods to system, all'sbeen well for a long time, but in recent weeks the heating vent (not domesticwater vent) has been discharging a steady trickle of HOT water to the feed/exptank. This in turn fills the tank to the overflow. If I empty the tank, fillsup again when boiler is running. Ball cock to exp tank is OK. Boiler temp seton the low side, HW pump set to "1". Why is this happening, and whereis the "extra water" coming from? Only happens when the boiler &pump are running, so presume cylinder coil OK? Thanks, David.

Only had this once and it was a matter of adjusting the pump speed. Interested to see what the experts say.

I would check the feed pipe from the exp/feed tank incase it is blocked somewhere.
Someone fitting a pump onto the gravity pipes without sorting out the feed & vent arrangement, was mad.
If your system is oil or gas, it may be possible to convert it to a sealed heating system if it is in decent order & all possible water loss points, - like leaky valves are fixed/replaced. By far the best system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vent pipe discharging hot to F&E tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I recently took off an end stop on the vent/expansion pipe over the heating header tank. I now know why it was capped off. When the 2 way valve...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Hope somebody can help :) I have a vented HW system with a pressurised Ch system but got bit of a annoying issue, when the hot water...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have just installed a vented McDonald 250L thermal store, it is for multi fuel but currently just connected to a standard oil boiler in...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked...
Replies
Views
I had my indirect hot water cylinder removed a few days ago and the central heating boiler and pump is turned off at the fuse spur right next to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock