Discuss Vented system to Combi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

So I can get my head around the work involved in this. currently have vented system with boiler in kitchen. Moving to Combi, staying in kitchen. has 22mm gas suuply and condense pipe can go straight out the wall. Hot & cold already in cupboard.

in the airing cupbaord what needs to be done to the Feed & Return here? system is as below but with 2 valves one for heating one for HW.

upload_2019-4-30_15-22-57.png

Can't you discuss this with your installer? I'm sure you can understand why we would be reluctant to give out advice on a boiler install to non gas registered forum users.

I could yes. However I want to know now, hence my question and the point of a forumn? I'm not asking anything to do with the boiler (gas). Is the airing cupboard pipe adjustments as per below.

Last edited:
Personally I would seek advice from a few different plumbers, combi boilers may often be cheaper but they come with quite a few drawbacks including:

The on demand nature of the hot water means unless you fit quite a large heat output one you may struggle to run a shower while someone is washing up for example.

Another consideration in loosing your HW cylinder is you are solely dependent on your boiler for HW as you no longer have an immersion heater for emergency use.

Adding renewable heat sources is more complex/limited should you choose to in the next 10-15 years.

Combi boilers are more complex that system boilers, in theory at least the less there is the longer life you're likely to get from it.

Just my 2p/opinion, but I'd always suggest a customer asks for the drawbacks of any system as well as the positives.

Personally I would seek advice from a few different plumbers, combi boilers may often be cheaper but they come with quite a few drawbacks including:

The on demand nature of the hot water means unless you fit quite a large heat output one you may struggle to run a shower while someone is washing up for example.

Another consideration in loosing your HW cylinder is you are solely dependent on your boiler for HW as you no longer have an immersion heater for emergency use.

Adding renewable heat sources is more complex/limited should you choose to in the next 10-15 years.

Combi boilers are more complex that system boilers, in theory at least the less there is the longer life you're likely to get from it.

Just my 2p/opinion, but I'd always suggest a customer asks for the drawbacks of any system as well as the positives.

Thanks appreciate the advice. I have taken all into account, and a 35-40kw chucks out enough water for us. We have good mains pressure also. Given a Combi is around 1500 fitted with 7 years warranty I’m happy it’ll pay for itself as the winter gas bills were extortionate on current set up. I initially was thinking of keeping the system because of said points, however most recent plumber asdvised bigger Combi would be fine.

Reply to Vented system to Combi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am repiping my whole house and changing from combi boiler to a 30kW system boiler & 250Ltr or 300Ltr unvented indirect hw tank. Can somebody...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and just some background on myself. I have 4 years experience as a plumber but haven't worked in the trade in 15 years. I...
Replies
Views
… praying to the plumbing God, Bob Pictures and layout details attached, so be patient. 21 year old oil fired system in pretty good nick. I...
Replies
Views
I have a badly blocked feed pipe to kitchen rad, was running very slowly but I’ve made it much worse trying to clear blockage with curtain wire...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock