Discuss Vermiculite loft insulation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Pickwickpick

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Not sure if this is right section of forum to post this, but I was up in customer's loft today and there was what looked like vermiculite (like sutff I use for gardening) up there as insulation. Was this a commonly done thing? Have never come across before now.

Yes, my roofspace was originally done with it until replaced with fibreglass and I remember shovelling and brushing it up to put in bags to use for it for insulation mix around solid fuel built in boilers.
One point made to me about it is, - if you had a leak in roofspace, - the vermiculite would soak all the water up until it becomes very heavy and pull the ceilings down. :eek:

It definitely has been used. Seen it a couple of times and not for a while. Was some asbestos issue with it iirc... :confused:

Just been doing a bit of googling after you mentioning this. Looks like I might have opened a whole can of worms here (as often seems to be the case!). Sounds like with pre 1990s, which this probably is, there could be either asbestos contamination from the mines, and/or added asbestos fibres for insulation purposes :eek:

Looks like I now need to do some research into how/where to get this tested!

Don't think it's a very high level asbestos hazard, I remember pushing it around to access bits and peices and, strangely - playing with it - if you get hold of a lump and squeeze it, it's got a really interesting wierd spongy texture, it's a bit like popping bubble wrap... I've never worried about it as a hazard tho. If you're going back up into that customers loft space - dyodd :)

Reply to Vermiculite loft insulation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi they used to say as a last resort you could discharge the D2 pipework at high level and turn it back to the wall. Similar to a combi boiler. I...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock