Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Want to get back into plumbing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Softree

Hi Everyone I was recently made redundant and i don't want to work for someone again and not getting any younger either. I got my Plumbing C&G and Advanced Plumbing C&G in 1996 but I came out of plumbing after working for a git of a boss and I lost interest and drifted into being a AV field Technician.
Anyway I have kept doing small plumbing jobs for myself friends and family so I can do bathrooms and kitchens etc but I want to get back into plumbing for myself.
I want to do quality work and be proud of it but I also love dealing with customers.
I still have most of my plumbing tools so outlay should be low although I need a vehicle but that can come from my redundancy.
Can anyone guide me in the right direction on this as I really don't know what to do next, should I get adverts out in shops and local press, what about insurance and when do I need to register for self employment?
Softree?:confused:

Yes to all that!

Ads in local shops worked pretty well for me when I started, and are (were) quite cheap. I don't need them now. But even better is to get into Yellow Pages and Yell.com (online) which are both FREE! So are the local BT directory and Thomsons Local. I now get most of my new customers via these. The one-liner entries are the free ones and they're all you need, because many customers look for local, small, plumbers rather than 'big boys' with big flashy ads. Local press is not cheap but may get some quick results. Consider a hand-posted mailshot in your area - you can use a computer to generate and print the handbills. This got some customers for me early on, after I posted 1,000 bills in my immediate area.

You do need to register as a sole trader pretty-well immediately if you want to be legal, and you must keep proper records for your annual tax return - keep all receipts/invoices and file them logically in a binder, and record every job in a book, or better, in a spreadsheet (Excel). You also should be insured from the outset in case the worst happens. If you want to keep things small and tight I don't recommend registering for VAT (ever!). It's a dead loss in my opinion for the one-man-band. You can keep your annual turnover down below the VAT threshold by getting your customers to buy the appliances and units that you will fit. This has the advantage that if they fail it'll be up to them to sort it - not you!

I would also recommend getting your overalls embroidered with your logo/company name (create one!) and telephone number(s). That way you're a walking ad! Get the van liveried as well, once you've earned some cash - for the same reason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Want to get back into plumbing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock