Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss warer noise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

faxplumber

anyone any ideas? i must be missing the obvious. it sounds like water is continually running and when i turn main stopcock off the noise stops.
no taks are overflowing as the ball valves are working correctly.no taps are running or dripping. it just sunds as though something is calling for mains water all the time.

If no warning/overflow pipes are dripping is it a failed toilet inlet valve?

Hmm

As dontknowitall says "Is it a failed toilet inlet valve?" running into the WC pan.

If not, try the old trick, of turning off the cold main water, opening the kitchen tap and putting a glass of water over the spout.

If the water gets sucked down the pipe, you've probably got a burst between the tap and the stopcock.

But make sure you don't have any taps in the cellar or anything else lower than the kitchen tap that may be open. And check the yard for hose union taps open.

all of the above sound dead on.have come across this before sounds a bit yucky if your not used to puting your hands down a toilet but while your hearing the noise put your finger at the back of your wc just above the water line and you should find that theirs a faint trace of running water which is usualy a sine that the flushing mechanisem(lamens terms) is letting water bye ie isnt seating right or needs replacing.

Bit of a long shot but my in-law is on a water meter and has just found that next door has been cross plumbed by severn trent into his meter.
result, he has been paying half next doors bill for ten years ????????????///......

Hey Cookie
An other way to check if their is water movement is float a matchstick on the water, if
it moves the water is moving if it remains steady it aint,

Hey Redsaw
Does that not mean that next door has been doing the same,

Last edited by a moderator:
faxplumber, When you say you turned off the main stopcock and the noise stops! Do you mean the internal or external stopcock? If you mean the outside stopcock and the noise stops, then try turning off the internal stopcock (with the external on) and if the noise persists then you must have a leak between the external and internal stopcock.
Just a thought!!

Hmm!

Funnily enough years ago an old plumber told me, that to find an outside burst under the likes of a lawn. Beside the obvious greener patch of grass growing over the spot.

A good way is to get an old metal bin lid, if you can that is, and put it on the floor or lawn and using apiece of stick shove it along and listen through that.
I suppose thinking about it, it would act as a sound amplifier.

Other than that its back to the old metal rod method, push it down every now and then in line with the main, until it comes up wet. Problem is water runs all over the place especially I suppose if there is a lot of clay about.
And lets be frank who knows where the pipe runs under a lawn that has probably got an old lead main?

Its call the water company in to trace it for you, they got the gear to do it.

At one time they did it for free.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks mate good idea just have to make sure i keep a box of matches handy any idea if hes solved his problem yet would like to know what it was that was causing the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to warer noise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock