Discuss 'Water Hammer' wav (sound) file examples? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

parisblue

Hi,
does anyone have any recording or wav files
of 'water hammer'?

My problem (in my council) flat is the sound of
a rasping, vibrating, low whining/screeching/groaning 'Tuba' that lasts for
up to 2 seconds. It is horrible and keeps me awake night after night.

At first I thought it was the neighbour upstairs
dragging a heavy table across a wooden floor
(you know that dull screehy sound the table legs make as they resonate?)
but it isn't her after all.

The problem is - the sound is dependent on random
water usage/pressue/demands from the upper flats and it never occurs when the landlord in waiting in my flat to hear it.

Please let me know if anyone has any pre-recorded quality
water hammer sounds (like my description) so I can demonstrate to the landdlord what I am actually hearing.
I've searched the web but couldn't find any samples.

Many thanks,
Paris.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't you have a record function on your mobile phone?
It's not water hammer - that's a banging sound

The screeching is probably due to a worn out tap or cistern valve somewhere in the property.

I tried that, and tried a mic hooked to Windows sound recorder. Unfortunately the noise frequency is too low to be picked up fully by a mobile phone or any general sound recorder.

It needs a quality (sensitive) recorder capable of capturing sound around [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]40 Hz. (Thunder is around 30 Hz!)

Vibrations an rumbles are always difficult to record if you don' thave good sound recording equipment.

I'm hoping somebody has already done this.
[/FONT]

Try my website (click the link):

www.slumberlands.freeserve.co.uk/SinkTapWhine.wav

to hear an old brass sink tap whining and groaning when you run water from it. I just recorded it using an iPod. (The voice at the end - just after the trombone effect - is my wife asking me what the hell I'm doing - a nuther sort of whining and groaning!)

I think the noises are being produced by the vibrations of the jumper as the high-pressure water flows past it in this old and worn-out tap. I can vary the sound by adjusting the water flow.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thanks for that.
Initially I thought nah.. that's no the sound, that's just
a 'whiny' sound ..but then at 23 seconds that teeth grating almost indescribable *scvvvrrccrrrrroooaaarrccchhgghhagghagghrrrvvv* sound. *ugh*
It's so horrible I can't even spell it.

That's generally the sound I get, except from a mains pipe behind
my bedroom wall, so it is louder albeit muted, but just as annoying.

It's no laughing matter, but I did laugh at the thought of your wife
walking in whilst you're crouched under the taps..
..recording ..something dodgy!
"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!"
would be my question too!
:)

Cheers.

I can't believe nobody records more of these sounds for referrence.
I imagine, people just want to forget all about it as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 'Water Hammer' wav (sound) file examples? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
I have water hammer when I run cold water anywhere in my flat. I can only hear it in the cupboard that houses my OSO water tank that was fitted a...
Replies
Views
tackleburger
T
M
Hi Folks, I have an issue with water hammer occuring on all of my hot cand cold taps, washing machine, dishwasher and toilets. I have replaced the...
Replies
Views
ecowarm
E
P
We just install new combi boiler.Since than there is high hammering noise whenever open the and close the water taps.Even the noise is also at...
Replies
Views
Puddle
P
K
right, i have a problem. let me quickly explain. i had been getting bad water hammer, and presumed it was caused by a old vertical peice of pipe...
Replies
Views
k13 wjd
K
R
Hi, about six months ago a plumber installed a new Albion ultraseel 180 litre cylinder. The information on the commissioning information says I...
Replies
Views
RickF
R

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock