Search the forum,

Discuss Water meter burst geyser in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JBEAT

I just want to get some first hand advice, we were asked to install water meters in a housing complex with 138 homes in order to let each family pay for their own water usage. Now each home had it's own pressure control valve installed about 3 inches above ground level, so in order to save expenses, we installed the water meters just above the pressure control valve that was the only way to shut down the water supply to each home because the pressure valve had a shut down valve build in. This happened about 3 months ago, now one of these houses had a burst geyser today, now the insurance company say it burst because the water meter is installed on the wrong side of the pressure valve.
Now my question is: do anyone think this is possible? I just cannot see how this could cause a geyser to burst, I want to explain to this people but I need a second opinion from some other plumber :thinking:

Hi MC-Bob, thanks for the reply, but They won't understand that, I need to give a good explanation on this issue. I have searched all over but I just cannot find a rule or something that pin piont the exact location of a water meter to be installed, I have to proof that this is not the cause for the burst geyser (water heater). Otherwise I will have to reposition all 138 water meters

Speak to the manufacturer of the meter/ heater. They will be best to advise you. I can't see installing them after is going to make any difference at all. It will be the insurance company trying it on so ask them why they think that it is due to the meter being installed after a pressure reducing valve.

Has some insurance idiot confused a pressure reducing valve with a pressure relief valve. They may tthink water meter with built in non return valve fitted after the 'PRV' means it can't blow off.

Where are you? A couple of the terms ie Geyser havent been used in the Uk for a long time.

Water meters fitted in the Uk do have a non return valve inside.

Do the existing pressure control valve have non return valves ??

If they do it sounds like any expansion vessel that should be fitted may have failed, causing the geyser ! To fail

Hi there fitted water meters for Severn Trent Water in the nineties an existing pressure reducing valve was present I was unsure where to position valve within meter fit so called supervisor and was told fit to go like this stoptap-meter-pressure reducing valve in that order so that's how I fitted cant really see what difference it would make ..brum

Last edited:
I just want to get some first hand advice, we were asked to install water meters in a housing complex with 138 homes in order to let each family pay for their own water usage. Now each home had it's own pressure control valve installed about 3 inches above ground level, so in order to save expenses, we installed the water meters just above the pressure control valve that was the only way to shut down the water supply to each home because the pressure valve had a shut down valve build in. This happened about 3 months ago, now one of these houses had a burst geyser today, now the insurance company say it burst because the water meter is installed on the wrong side of the pressure valve.
Now my question is: do anyone think this is possible? I just cannot see how this could cause a geyser to burst, I want to explain to this people but I need a second opinion from some other plumber :thinking:

Its really simple this, just get the insurance company to show the policy holder where it says this is the cause of the problem, and BTW how did they know where the meter was if they came to site who would they send, a building inspector, loss adjuster for a water heater burst, mi thinks not, all sounds funny crap to me. They love taken your money but hell they are tosh at paying out, play them at their own game.

Hi there who asked you/payed you to fit water meters social landlord or water board??..brum

I am from South Africa, yes that water meter have got a build in non return valve. but isn't it the job of the PR Valve to reduce the pressure? and the distant between the water heater and the PR valve sure must also be taken into account for expansion, or do I miss something here?

The Body corp of the complex asked me to fit the meters and they paid me.

I would also have fitted it in that order because that is how we always do it, but this housing complex is like a estate, and where the water supply enters every house hold we had no space between the PRV and the point of entry and the PRV had a build in shut down valve which we used to shut down the water to each home

Hi there what water authority area are you in ..brum

I think you do miss something are you saying this is an electrical water heater connected straight in the water main with only a NRV and no expansion vessel, if this is so its no wonder it burst, lets have more details please or we will be off on a guessing game

think i get the issue now, water meter has a non return valve, as did the prv fitted originally, and the water heater has burst, was the heater relying on expansion within the cold water feed rather than using an expansion vessel and pressure relief valve. Hence the insurance companies get out of jail card if that was the case, seeing as you were the last to fit on an already poorly designed system.

All the water heaters are installed inside the ceiling, which is far from the water meter
This is what the installation look like

There are 83 meters installed and 1 is to blame????

Pressure reducing valve regulates how much pressure is available in the line. Water line from the city may have 100 lbs. in it but there is a reducing valve right inside the house so that the pipes in the house only get 40 lbs. in them.

brum re post 11, the op is from South Africa.

Didn't realizing he was posting from south Africa,Ive got a neighbor who is dutch but shes not in Holland I mis interpreted thought he was here..brum

Only that we wouldn't be familiar with the regs down there. We can advise you on the nuts and bolts elements but thats about it mate.

Is there a problem if I'm asking from South Africa?

none at all my friend I misread that's all, water metering in uk is governed by local water authorities who actually own the meters and designate installer (usually a subsidiary company of theirs) thought you were in uk ..and they are fitted free to householder/tenant..brum

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water meter burst geyser in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from the loft water reservoir tank (which also feeds the cold water taps in the bathroom & the WC cistern). There is an expansion vessel attached to this...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I'm facing a rather complex situation and I need your expert advice. My neighbor and I share a boiler for hot water, and we have a single recirculation pump serving both of our homes. However, after the pump, the recirculation circuit splits into two separate branches, each...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
I live in Azerbaijan and am looking to revamp the water system in my house. The first thing is that I don't have a water meter - probably a good thing as my mother in law pours tonnes of water on the garden in summer, mostly watering weeds as she can't tell the difference from grass. But the...
Replies
Views
My Grant combi oil boiler is giving me quite a headache at the moment. When I returned home last Friday I'd no heating or hot water. An engineer called the next day and diagnosed a faulty pressure switch. This was changed and everything seemed ok. However then the boiler began to lose pressure...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock