Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Water Softeners, I'm not Impressed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

village idiot

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I accept that water softeners do a marvelous job keeping limescale, scum etc at bay. So if you are in a hard water area, fitting a water softener will give you lovely enjoyable showers.

But, there is that thingy called REGENERATION. During regeneration, a massive 12 minutes goes by while water is just being dumped down the drain. WHY???? OK, so regeneration is necessary, but I consider it a waste of precious water. Water is a scarce resource, so why do water softening firms not find a way of doing away with this regeneration nosense?

had a conversation about this with a harvey softener rep. apparently they looked at it but it put the price sky high.

had a conversation about this with a harvey softener rep. apparently they looked at it but it put the price sky high.

Well, In the not so far ''future'', Harvey would wish he had seriously considered this option?
It is achievable and will will be in the shops sooner rather than later. I am a 'trained' Harvey Water Softener installer, or whatever you want to call it. During training, you are made to believe that you can easily promote, then sell a minimum of TWO water softeners every week. Now, with labour costs at a minimum £300-500 per install, what is the desire to bother installing boilers?
But, after looking at the whole set-up, I am yet to make a single promotion or suggestion to my custards. OK, I am missing out on ''easy'' money on a product that provides a necessary service, but I'm not impressed with this water wastage. At 12 midnight, all hell may break loose if the softener decides to regenerate then. ffffttttttttt

I assume at that price it includes gold plated pipe and fittings??

No it does not.
Costs apart (£900+ for the softener - you get it for around £600, and a minimum £300 for the labour), the bulkiness of the unit means your custard looses the cupboard under sink. Or it could be installed outside.

No it does not.
Costs apart (£900+ for the softener - you get it for around £600, and a minimum £300 for the labour), the bulkiness of the unit means your custard looses the cupboard under sink. Or it could be installed outside.

I'm glad you aren't selling many VI. Thats just a cash-driven pyramid scheme, but without the pyramid. Not that many houses need a water softener. Still fewer at that price.

I have to re fit one of my custards old water softners. The water board stated that they live in a slightly hard water area. At 105 ppm. But the customer says he likes it makes showers nicer etc. I've never experienced it so can't really comment. I don't think I'd bother.

i have one at my house.

otherwise you have scale on everything within fortnight.

i have one at my house.

otherwise you have scale on everything within fortnight.

I do have one as well. Bought when I attended the course. Most of the others did not buy one. But I had already made up my mind I was going to buy one the minute I left home to attend the ''training''.
Trouble is since I bought it, the missus wastes even more water having a bath and washing dishes as the water is now 'soft' to the skin. Also, the kids just get into the shower and will not come out without you telling them to shut it and get out???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water Softeners, I'm not Impressed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My water stinks. Smells musty. I installed a Whirlpool water softener mid February of this year ('23) and it's smelled ever since. So here's the...
Replies
Views
Apologies for the self interested thread, but I would very much appreciate the advice of you knowledgeable folks. I got a plumber in to install a...
Replies
Views
Hi, my name is Alan and I have a puzzle with my hot water supply. I have a condensing boiler which is 6 years old and has been regularly...
Replies
Views
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock