Search the forum,

Discuss What do you think this might point to? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
My mum recently moved into a bungalow. Starts getting high water bills. They then tell her she's averaging 500 litres used a day so I go to investigate.

No obvious leaks. It's a combi so could only be hot and cold leaking and it's solid floors with no pipes (that I can tell from initial snooping) in the floor at all. All pipes seem to be run up and down from loft with a few running behind boxing here and there. No damp patches, mould, no sounds of water/drips, checked usual stuff like inlet/drop valves, outside taps, behind washing machine.

I looked at meter when nothing being used and it was moving very slowly

I told her to take readings over periods of time when not using it to see how much 'usage' the leak was accounting for. But this is when it got confusing. ..

Yesterday she was out of the house during the day for 10 hours and it registered 40 litres had been used on the meter while she was away. However the day before - overnight for 12 hours - the water wasn't used and it registered no change. Zero movement, exactly same reading as 12 hours previously.

Bit of a weird leak that can do that? Faulty meter? Just wondering if this points to something before I start removing boxing, looking further.

Thanks

Should have said I turned off the internal stopcock when I noticed the meter slowly moving on it's own and it stopped moving (although i didn't watch it for a long time) which I think should discount the only underground part of the supply I'm aware of. The rest is above ground in the house. I traced all the pipework in the loft I could (95% i'd say as full of crap and all lagged) and found no leaks there either.

First thing Id do is turn off stopcock in the house. That isolates the supply pipework and lets you know if in ground to prop or property itself.

A leak MAY be covered to some extent by insurance. Often have trace & access clauses.

First thing Id do is turn off stopcock in the house. That isolates the supply pipework and lets you know if in ground to prop or property itself.

A leak MAY be covered to some extent by insurance. Often have trace & access clauses.

Yeah I did that and meter stopped, but didn't have time to check it for long.
And yes indeed to second part too, I had my front path dug up this morning on my insurance to fix a bit of galvanised.

Dodgy neighbours? Have a peek over the fence for a pipe that is out of place. :)

Wouldn't they have to tee into supply after my mum's meter though? Her meter is in her garden.

Reply to What do you think this might point to? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
Not exactly a plumbing problem but here goes. I have known for a couple of years there was a water leak somewhere between the water meter, on our property, and the property itself. The water company fitted a new (smart) meter about 4 weeks ago. Now they have contacted us saying we have a leak...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum and joined specifically to try to get an answer to my question. I have an 88yo mother-in-law who is recently widowed and her 90yo husband who has since passed insisted on doing everything for himself. Nothing wrong with that but now that he has gone my wife...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to you? I suspect that my long ongoing rotting veg/sewage smell is caused by a fault in this connection that has been hidden from previous inspections...
Replies
Views
Hi, I live in a house that is 20yr old. There is a single soil stack running from the top floor (of three) through the first floor bathroom and then through the kitchen to the drains. A while back I started to hear a drip hitting the kitchen ceiling (now with some ceiling evidence too) from...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock