Search the forum,

Discuss What might make combi produce low dhw flow? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Mum just moved into new place. I am not GSR but can do rest plumbing. She has a logic 24 combi. Hot at all outlets flow resembles what you might get from a fortic in a flat. Boiler fires fine, water gets hot, just poor flow. Cold is fine/normal. Is this something a gas safe guy will have to investigate/fix or something I can look at?

Thanks

24 kw is about 9 litres a min.
Might look poor through a bath tap. Measure flow into a jug and time it. That will give you litres a minute. Bet it's not far off.

It's the lowest flow I've ever seen on a combi and have worked on taps on hundreds of combis. I would guess from checking it out it would be maybe 4 litres a min tops.

tbh she's not fussed but doesn't seem right to me and if it was a reasonably simple fix, even if needing a gas safe chap I'd recommend it for her. Just want an idea.

dont know if they have but check the strainer

Are flow restrictors fitted?
Could be the strainer partially blocked?

As said, not GSR so no knowledge about boiler parts/workings.

Would the strainer be this thing on the right? And how do I 'check' it?

spu3rp.jpg

It is a hard water area yeah. Not sure if flow restrictors are fitted or where I would check that, unless you mean at/on the taps?

The strainer is inside the boiler
Flow restrictors may be inside the isolation valves for each tap

Probably scaled up heat exchanger
That's where I was heading, could even be a scaled up inline scale reducer. The long chrome thing on the left. Or has someone part turned off the flow valve to the boiler?

Would a scaled up inline scale reducer just reduce hot flow, normally? I can check that one.

I can't do anything within boiler as not GSR.

Will check there aren't flow reducer on iso's to taps.

Given the boiler then if I managed to increase the flow would it suddenly struggle to keep water hot if taps turned on too much? At the moment water nice and hot. As I said my mum isn't too bothered and don't want to swap one problem for another but would like to increase her hot flow if I could, mainly because filling a bath would currently take a month.

WT , yep bin the scale reducer ( at least for now) , only other thing is the flow turbine in the boiler could be prone to crud , but you would need to go in the boiler for that .

Divide the Kw rating of boiler by 3 to get expected flow in litres/min.
24Kw should give 8 litres/min. If you can confirm cold water flow to boiler exceeds 8 litres/min then problem is most likely scaled up domestic hot water heat X. Could be faulty diverter valve but in hard water area any heatX more than 6 years old is worth replacing even if problem is elsewhere. Need to be GSR.

I had one with a similar problem i had to strip down the whole hyroblock and clean it out as it had not been used for over a year there was a obstruction once removed all was ok 9-10 litres a minute regards kop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What might make combi produce low dhw flow? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock