Search the forum,

Discuss What Stilsons do you use and what for? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
I don't have any Stilsons at the moment but nearly needed a set yesterday to undo some LCS from fittings. Don't think boss was too impressed but luckily we (he) have come up an alternative way of solving our problem but now I obviously know I need to invest in some for the future.

Any recommendations? and what do you use different sizes for?

Thanks

I've got Record Stilsons 9", 12" and 18". Best bet is to scour boot sales and tool auctions for them as the old ones are definitely better.

I've got Record Stilsons 9", 12" and 18". Best bet is to scour boot sales and tool auctions for them as the old ones are definitely better.

Might be off to a boot sale Sunday so hopefully i will get lucky!

If you will just be needing them for the occasional time just buy a cheap set. They still work the same.
These won't break the bank and will do anything you need
Stillson Pipe Wrench Length 450mm - Jaw 65mm(SILVERLINE WR91): Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
and a set of 14's if you feel like it (always handy to have 2 sets)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-...r0&keywords=Stillson+Pipe+Wrench+Length+355mm
If you need some extra leverage stick a bit mi on the end.

The difference between those and the good ones for everyday use like these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ridgid-18-i...1373661091&sr=1-2&keywords=ridgid+pipe+wrench is they are not made as well, are heavier and have a lot more play.

The cheapies will do what you need.

Btw your boss should have stilsons in all sizes as yard stock tools :wink:

I carry 2 14" and 2 24" plus a 4" chain wrench with a 4' length of 1 1/2" for those smaller jobs.....

6,12 and 24 and one day these bad babies

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373662277.106060.jpg

My stilsons only come out when I need to seperate my core bits to get them back in the box

I carry a 9" and 18" in the van they seem to suit all I need. Ones a cheap one from a merchants and the 18s are a used record set off eBay.

they don't come out often but get me out the poo when they do.

used the other day on a chewed up radiator tail.

,I have record 18" set, I swopped an old pipe bender for them years ago, the bender was rubbish but the records are still fine, used them today to disconnect some lead pipe from some galv in an old house. also have some 14" super ego that I have had for about 20 years, I know nothing about this make but I got them 2nd hand and they are still ok.

Rigid 6" & 12" used daily. 24" on van for chav scaring

I'm bringing this over in march ready to help you get your wallet out ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373697333.125808.jpg

I'm bringing this over in march ready to help you get your wallet out View attachment 13876

Been practicing on your own?

You know that song I helped you out with on fb yesterday?

My stepdaughter heard me playing it then told me it's used a lot in the twilight films.

I was screaming trying to delete my message!

I've got all sizes & very, very rarely use them. Chains, stilsons etc etc & unless your doing lots of MI they'll sit in the bowels of your store or garage, so tamz right as always, just buy a cheap set.

My stilsons only come out when I need to seperate my core bits to get them back in the box
I spray some crack release type spray on threads first, they break apart easily then! Just a bahco & a tap with hammer.

Wd40 or similar probs do the same job! Saves a lot of hassle & your knuckles...

id get a pair of 18s firs ash theyll cover most domestic/ light commercial jobs 'ill have a look in my shed tomorrow seee if ive got any spares

Thanks for the replies.

That would be very kind of you Steve, thanks!

Don't bother with the Irwin fancy crap slider stilsons! The biggest joke in my tool box! Every time I go to use them, they really are crap! Never grip the pipe. Always loose, total joke!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What Stilsons do you use and what for? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock