Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss When is it not my responsibility? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

beesley121

Hi guys,

did is a one off job for a builder who was recon an house. Fitted a boiler, and bathroom for him as well as reconnecting old rads back onto existing system. This was against my advice as the current ch pipe work was a bit of a mess and thought it was stupid to have the whole house redone except the radiators and pipe work. It was a coventionsl system change to combi

now it's been fine for 10 weeks and now the owner says a radiator is leaking, think it's a joint. Going to have a look tonight but want to know if I should be charging? I'm fairly easy going and if it's something I've done wrong, fair enough, I'll put it right but when does my responsibility end, I can't be responsible for it forever. It's not leaked for 10 weeks so why now, she could have knocked it with the Hoover for all I know

advice appreciated

Did you say on your quote "no responsibility taken for existing pipe work and radiators"?

Didn't quote the builder mate, just agreed a day rate verbally

Always get it in writing , ours are 30 days on our work rest is down the manufacturers also if it's nothing you've done they get charged

Ifs it's nothing to do with your work then it's chargeable and any problems especially if you were on a day rate is between the builder and his client. A lesson to be learnt for the future is to put your concerns etc in writing and to get any other work also agreed in writing which we all know is hard work with most builders. He will have made a profit for the supply of the boiler etc and as such it's his problem if you only carried out his instructions.

It was a coventionsl system change to combi

now it's been fine for 10 weeks and now the owner says a radiator is leaking, think it's a joint. Going to have a look tonight but want to know if I should be charging? I'm fairly easy going and if it's something I've done wrong, fair enough, I'll put it right but when does my responsibility end, I can't be responsible for it forever. It's not leaked for 10 weeks so why now, she could have knocked it with the Hoover for all I know

advice appreciated

The old pipe work really should be pressure tested so it can take the new set up. Otherwise it can give you a grief.

I give all my work a 2 year standard gaurantee , anything in that period with something i have done then i take full responsability and will fix free of charge,
However if you did it as a hommer then the gaurantee is for you to decide ,

If it's not your pipe work then its chargeable, quite straight forward really.

If it had leaked on initial fill up you've been paid to fix it so why not now?

I always always always state in my quote if i go from open to sealed i cannot guarantee p/work, associated fittings or rads will not leak.

If it's not your work it should be chargeable. Whether homeowner will want to pay is another thing. Who's idea was it to use old pipe and rads. The builder or the owner. Have you mentioned to builder about leak on original piping before ye go to job to see if he gonna pay ye. Can't see homeowner wanting to pay unless his idea to use old system.

You are certainly not the main contracter - so you can walk away but
as you are a good fitter do go back explain to the householder you are there
because you would like to help them without any liability you might gain a customer CHking

What guarantee has the builder given?
How have they got your number? Passed on by builder?

its simple, unless its down to workmanship done by you then its not your fault and its chargable, who pays is between the builder and the new owner and needs addressing before work is done.

So if I rehang old radiators on old pipework and pressure test it and find no leaks, in say 2 months time, a rad valve decides to weep, is that my fault?

if I passed the pressure test then my work is done isn't it, I mean what's stopping the customer hitting rad tails with the Hoover

I agree with centralheatking (post #11) - do it as a gesture and you may gain a customer - but tell them you're doing it as a favour because you're an honest tradesman ;)

So if I rehang old radiators on old pipework and pressure test it and find no leaks, in say 2 months time, a rad valve decides to weep, is that my fault?

if I passed the pressure test then my work is done isn't it, I mean what's stopping the customer hitting rad tails with the Hoover

all you can do is test at the time of installation. Problems that arise later with existing materials are out of your control and warranty. putting a weeping rad valve right wont cost the earth tho and keep you in the good books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to When is it not my responsibility? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock