Search the forum,

Discuss Where can I find British Standards ( for boiler flue instalation ) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nicko

I need help from you guys. Can you give me the regulations for boiler flue instalation?
My boiler flue is fitted on the roof/extension of my kitchen and is next to the window on the first floor of my house ( openable) It is around 5 cm under the parapet and 15 cm from the wall.
I think it is called vertically positioned flue it is around 90 cm long. Where can I find regulations and check if it is correct or if not then why??
Any ideas? Maybe some publications?

Attachments

• IMG_1522.jpg
    IMG_1522.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_15576.jpg
    IMG_15576.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 68
Contact the manufacturers and they will normally e-mail you a copy out.

Google flue positions it will gve you a diagram and a table with all the info you need

Sounds simple. But when I tried to contact them they put me on hold for more then 20 min! So I decided to e-mail them. The replay was that it doesn't meet the standards.

Or google your boiler you should be able to find the mi's for your boiler

I did it. I am not in a plumbing business so I it is quiet confusing for me. While searching google I found this website and tried to give it a shoot :)

Thank you :) so it looks like 500 mm from the wall (M) but what if there is a window? I have a glass roof so there is no way to install it anywhere else but in front of the window.Will it be still this same 500mm? or maybe in that case more??

Looks like your neighbour is in the same boat.

Edit, didn't see Tamz last sentence.

Last edited:
just playing devil's advocate here........

What did the standards say at the time the boiler was installed?

just playing devil's advocate here........

What did the standards say at the time the boiler was installed?
It probably said don't stick a flue under a window or words to that affect and also something about don't let numpties fit it.

probably Tamz, but you have to wonder with two of them like that. And there's no way either of them's been serviced and nothing been said up to now.

Looks lhey have been fitted by the builder when the house was done up Cropps. Probably anybody servicing it has never bothered to look which is very worrying.

THE BOILER IS OFF NOW.THANK YOU ALL.#croppie that is what I am thinking about! were they allowed to install it few cm under the window ?and so close to the wall???? Still searching the web...and can not find the answer

It was never allowed to be installed like that.

This is what it says in the BS

Where two or more vertical fanned draught chimney configurations
terminate in close proximity at the same height, they shall be separated
by at least 300 mm. Where any one vertical outlet is more than 300 mm
above the other, then they shall be separated by at least 1 500 mm.

Where any vertical fanned draught chimney configuration outlets is
within 2 000 mm measured horizontally of an opening window, then it
shall be at least 300 mm above the opening.

Nicko, Vaillant say this with regards to flue positioning (Page 14 of the boiler mi's)

Fluing.JPG

So now my question is how it was passing gas inspections?for around 15 years!!!!! Or more??? Who is responsible for such a huge negligence ?

Last edited by a moderator:
typicall house owners never have the boilers serviced they are vailants of a certain age and have probably never gone wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Where can I find British Standards ( for boiler flue instalation ) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock