Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Where would a direct and indirect hot water systems be most appropriate? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chippie86

Where would direct and indirect hot water systems be most appropriate, and why? :S

Indoors :) Because they'd freeze in the winter outdoors :)

Why would you be asking? If it's for learning purposes then tell us your thoughts first and you may get the help you need .. IMHO

if you have no central heating in your house or you have electric heaters, then you will have a direct cylinder. the cylinder will have 1 or 2 electric immersion heaters that heat up the water.
indirect cylinder means the cylinder has a coil and the water will be heated up using a boiler.

direct = directly heated by heater in cylinder (ie immersion)
indierect = indireclty heated by an external source(ie gas boiler) via a coil.

any other questions need answering from your homework? lol

I don't see the point of helping someone who doesn't have the aptitude or inclination to learn themselves. They won't make it as a plumber so why prolong the failure?

EDIT:
I've just read on another thread that you're a carpenter doing a diploma in construction so I apologise for assuming you were a lazy arse apprentice. Met too many in my time.

That said it would be easy for us to give you the answer but you need to understand the fundamentals of plumbing for it to really mean anything to you and for the information to be useful.
So instead of the answer why don't you tell us what you're struggling with and we'll try to help you understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
he asked a question i gave a answer. i thought thats how forums worked

It is how they work, not sure what your point is? lol

I'd rather help him more by helping him understand the answer.

Hi Hybrid.

lol absolutley no apology necessery, I know exactly what you mean and completely agree. Some people expect to be carried along and by the end of the course they have learnt nothing, and as a result they either fail or are sent out into the field as cowboys. This is why it is really important that I understand what I'm learning, just like I did with my carpentry apprenticeship. I wouldn't want to go out into the field with this qualification feeling unconfident.

As you said, I am a carpenter by trade doing a national diploma in construction, and therefore I'm not very familar with plumbing. Partly due to the fact of hearing a few horror stories about burst pipes etc, so I tend to stay away from pipework when possible which is probably why I know very little :(

With regards to the subject in question, I keep lurking around the issue of limited space that some buildings may present, which if I am to admit sounds like pretty flimsy reason but I really can't think. I only like to use the forum when I am really stuck with no other avenue, which is the case at the minute, endless research on the internet has supplied me with nothing.

If you could help me out in anyway, I would really appreciate it :D

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
without not meaning to be rude hybrid, this person has asked a question and i told him my thoughts on the topic . its not my job to wonder why he wanted to know the question or assume hes not a qualified plumber etc etc,

Hi wigs

Thanks for answering, I did see your post earlier and do really appreciate it. Its given me something to start exploring.

Guys plz plz, not arguments....lol If anything its actually my fault, I should of mentioned that it was for my course and tbh got a little desperate for an answer out of frustration

I'm doing two assignments side by side at the minute; Mechanical and electrical engineering and computer aided design which both have to be in for monday, which is why I kept my answer quite short.

Sorry guys, my fault.

It was a perfectly decent question that required a decent answer in a decent way. Who cares what the answer was for? The guy came on this forum looking for help. That is what this forum is designed to do, help people.

I always like to remember it by thinking. A DIRECT system is DIRECTLY heated with the energy being used. Eg immersion.

An INDIRECT is INDIRECTLY heated by the energy source. Eg boiler and cylinder

for most of us direct and indirect referrs to the cylinder but recently ive heard people call combi systems direct systems in which case the answer regarding lack of space is correct as a combi needs no airing cupboard

wigz I haven't made any comment on your post or anyone elses who gave him the answer because I don't care.
If you chose to give the answer that's your business, i'd rather have a conversation about hot water systems than spew out answers like a human google and I think http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/members/chippie86.htmlChippie86 would find it more beneficial as well.

I have strong opinions on how easy it is to become qualified in this industry. Instead of moaning about it and doing nothing i'll engage with an apprentice on things they don't understand to help them become better plumbers.

Perhaps he also wants to learn a little plumbing for the next time he sticks a nail through a pipe :)

Perhaps he also wants to learn a little plumbing for the next time he sticks a nail through a pipe :)
Pulled a board up today and found a pipe with a 6mm self tapper in it. Must have nailed through the pipe then screwed it in to stop the leak, shouldn't have left it like that and shouldn't have used a steel screw lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Where would a direct and indirect hot water systems be most appropriate? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hello, I am fitting new taps and a shower mixer in my en-suite and was looking to isolate the hot water pipes. I have an unvented indirect...
Replies
Views
Afternoon. I have an issue with no water flow from any of the hot taps in the house, I can't seem to find a solution to the issue. System is a...
Replies
Views
First post as I can not figure this one out. I have a hot water boiler heating system, gas fired, with an HTP SuperStor indirect hot water tank...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied...
Replies
Views
J
Hello, hoping someone can advise me. My boiler stopped working - no hot water or central heating. Called out a company who came and assessed the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock