Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Working directly for local authority in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mbear

I'm looking for points of view, pro's and con's etc for working(direct labour) for a local authority/council/housing association.

I currently do heating repairs and fit the odd boiler/system for the private company I work for. I've done work in council properties before through contracts with my mob(mostly repairs and all of their landlord checks).

My question is has any of u lot worked directly for a local council and if so what are your thoughts. I'm seriously considering jumping ship at some point in the not too distant future.

youll meet the nicest of people living in pristine conditions lol. Dont forget a few council residents believe the easiest way to clean their bathroom is to have the plumber come in to replace the putrifying wreck of a bathroom you only put in 6 months previously.

I understand the point ur making but I won't be plumbing in the way ur saying. I'll be repairing/servicing heating(boiler/rads/controls) only on combis only.

didnt realise you could pick and choose what systems you work on?.

so youll need a paint scraper (to find the controls) and vicks (to make things smell better)

didnt realise you could pick and choose what systems you work on?.

I wouldn't pick and choose, my local authority has in the past 10yrs upgraded all of it's heating systems to combis. Vokeras,ferrolis,w/Bosch mostly, as I say all fitted within the last 10yrs.

Sounds like an easy life to me

my son works for housing assoc and his area covers mogadishu

????, don't get it?

Last edited by a moderator:
my son works for housing assoc and his area covers mogadishu

Is that the mogadishu estate,were Nelson Mandela ,Martin Luther king and Mohandas Gandhi House are sited :D:D:D

Don,t get me wrong,all great people but think of better ways to honor them,than naming a council tower block after them!!!

imho

i was doing some work for a housing assoc and its an eye opener and that was in windsor(no it wasnt at the castle) some places were filthy and i mean filthy

Hi I am assuming "Direct Labour" as being on a paye basis. The picture painted is in the minority, but you will come across some that are rough. However, spare part will be a plenty for private jobs. The security of working for councils may well be more appealing to our colleagues in the months to come, as there duty of care to tenants will aways be funded. Coupled with the fact that a career structure exists in such established providers, along with opportunities of learning how the system works. Which can be handy in say 5 years time when you may be in a position to contract to them at three fold the money. Good Luck

good luck if you decide to go that route,remember money poor for what you do,van will have tracker in it,so will be like big brother watching you ,no ,had enough of it today,early darts.there is always someone above you who does,nt knowwhat there on about.alot mither ,then you get to mix with the dregs of society.not all of social housing tennants are,but a lot are

good luck if you decide to go that route,remember money poor for what you do,van will have tracker in it,so will be like big brother watching you ,no ,had enough of it today,early darts.there is always someone above you who does,nt knowwhat there on about.alot mither ,then you get to mix with the dregs of society.not all of social housing tennants are,but a lot are

the things that lures me are

•5k extra on top my current salary
•working on combis only(no more old choked up(cold feed) systems etc)
•having all reqd parts in the van as only roughly 6 types of combis to be repaired in my local authority
•sounds an easy life to me compared to current employment

downsides

•work pattern of 4on 4off. ie mon,tues,we'd,thurs on. Fri,sat,sun,mon off. tues,wed,thurs,fri on etc etc.This continuosly runs like this. If that makes sense
•alot of wkend work through the above shift pattern
•as u say alot of the dregs of societys housing, in saying that, most of the shall I say poor immigrant in my area stay in the high skyscrapers which have electric heating.

I suppose sometimes it's better the devil u know than.....

make sure you get all your jabs done... especially the one for " putting up with a t**t of a boss who has never picked up a tool in his life"

Last edited by a moderator:
make sure you get all your jabs done... especially the one for " putting up with a **** of a boss who has never picked up a tool in his life"

don't worry about that, IMO If they've no experience of fixing heating their opinion doesn't count and I've been known to tell the
non tech gaffers of my previous employers exactly that. I've been doing this too long for a pen pusher to tell me how to fix heating. It's just not on

Whilst doing my portfolio we attended a property for annual safty and service.
Front door wide open,House stunk(the rats left weeks ago)
smack head led on setee,burnt foil all over table.
"Boiler in kitchen" he says so we ask wheres ur gas meter?
Its down the side of the washer under the dirty washer,just move it if u need to get to it.
Stomach turns!
Sorry pal need to order part for this (honest) we;ll come back when weve got em

see u later
in saying that u do meet some honest hard workin people most of the time,its just that u remember the ones that arnt!

don't worry about that, IMO If they've no experience of fixing heating their opinion doesn't count and I've been known to tell the
non tech gaffers of my previous employers exactly that. I've been doing this too long for a pen pusher to tell me how to fix heating. It's just not on

I had to report a firm to the "contracts manager" of the local council once.... the first thing i said to him was ..............." if i get no joy from you, i going to your boss" he took me serious after that......:D

do you work for yourself or are you working for a firm,

Work for a firm mate. As I was sayin a few posts back. My current salary is 5k less than the local auth. Although my salary is in line with most of repair engs, I think the local auth had to up the cash for the gas guys when the 4on 4off shift pattern came in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Working directly for local authority in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock