Search the forum,

Discuss 22mm fittings to old 3/4 pipework. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ey up.

Im looking at a job to replace the old and siezed gate style valves on the cold feed pipework from a CWSC and was wondering if 22mm compression fittings, replacing with full bore lever valves, can be fitted to old pipework or will I need to cut the pipes back and use 22 to 3/4 couplers?

I only ask as I recently Took of the gate valve from my own CWSC and noticed 22mm olives were a little lose around the existing pipework.

Thanks.

Yes use "green ring" 3/4" x 22mm olives, they aren't all green but are thicker to take up the difference in size

Thanks,

If I can only get hold of 3/4 olives will a few wraps of PTFE take up the slack?

You won't get old 3/4" olives any more, every decent plumbers merchant carries the imperial/metric olives, don't go to the sheds etc

Any decent plumbers merchant will have 'green' olives
dont try loads of ptfe I have tried in stress full situations

Its no good- do the job properly CHK

If I can only get hold of 3/4 olives will a few wraps of PTFE take up the slack?[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can't get holed of imperial olives then cut back the pipe and get some old to new sockets and convert to 22mm

I must have miricale olives mine always work on 3/4 but imperial to metric straights are the daddy or swage you way out of it. Imperial a lot thicker walled so hope u had oats for breakkie

Cheers all,

Got a plumbase round the corner so ill try them for the olives on Monday, failing that end feed couplers.

Cheers all,

Got a plumbase round the corner so ill try them for the olives on Monday, failing that end feed couplers.

I don't think you'll have much joy with an end feed coupling I've just had similar issues in a bathroom refit connecting onto old pipe work tried a 22mm end feed elbow to join new to old and the solder wouldn't bridge the gap on the old pipe work I ended up using a 22mm speed fit push fitting

I have always used my local plumbcenter. They've always had either the 3/4 olives or the imperial to metric end feed sockets!

peat you can get 3/4 to 22mm endfeed converters as mk_swans said

I don't think you'll have much joy with an end feed coupling I've just had similar issues in a bathroom refit connecting onto old pipe work tried a 22mm end feed elbow to join new to old and the solder wouldn't bridge the gap on the old pipe work I ended up using a 22mm speed fit push fitting

Is that wise? Surely the 22mm Speedfit O ring is too slack on the 3/4" pipe & worse still, the gripper may not hold?

Peat, I meant 22mm to 3/4 converters/reducers.

Old pipe, coupler, New 22, valve, New 22, coupler, old pipe.....see what I mean?

You need to get back to that job ASAP and remove that fitting before the place floods.

What a bodge.

Dont just lash the end feed couplers into your box as then you will spend ages finding they are no good on 22mm pipe like i did a few months ago and they still surface to my annoyance CHK
Peat, I meant 22mm to 3/4 converters/reducers.

Old pipe, coupler, New 22, valve, New 22, coupler, old pipe.....see what I mean?

Youre kidding right?

you dont use a 22mm coupler!!

you use a 3/4 to 22 mm coupler for imperial to metric to convert it.

as for 22mm speed fit on 3/4 copper pipe.........

i hope you have decent insurance......... Because you're sure gonna need it

Dont just lash the end feed couplers into your box as then you will spend ages finding they are no good on 22mm pipe like i did a few months ago and they still surface to my annoyance CHK

Thread a piece of earth wire through your 22mm x 3/4 connectors & twist the ends together & you won't get them mixed up with ordinary connectors.

THese fittings used to a have a green end - not nowadays.

I cannot see the difference - my eyes are going so I do most things by touch ! CHking
Lol your eyes must be going if you can't see the difference CHK

Can't you feel the difference? It's like an horizontal jogging with purt 21 year old with all her teeth and then a 53 year old with most of them.

Can't you feel the difference? It's like an horizontal jogging with purt 21 year old with all her teeth and then a 53 year old with most of them.
that's one way of putting it ermi or just put the two side by side and you will see and be able to feel that the 22-3/4 has got slightly different diameters or even have a cutting of 22mm pipe to hand it will fit in the 22mm end but not in the 3/4 end

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 22mm fittings to old 3/4 pipework. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock