Discuss 40mm Waste across Joists. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jackplumb

This is a big no no, I know that but, are ther any methods for replacing the strength that has been removed by using plates or "Fish Plates" drilled and bolted through the joist.

Yes but you'll need calculations from a structural engineer. A couple of years back an engineer working for the same firm as me notched some joists for a gas pipe far too deep and they had to get a structural engineer in to calculate the plates required, cost the company a fortune.

Don't know if this helps but the IET say we (I'm a spark) can drill a joist no greater than 0.25 x the joist depth and at least 50mm from top or bottom of the joist. I assume someone somewhere has done some calculations to base this advise on, but as usual apply the @**e covering technique and get someone else to make the decision like a structural engineer. Remedial's on joists will never be cheap.

I went to a house last year to repair some DIY plumbing the home owner had done (nothing serious, his work was, as a whole, no worse than some of the 'professional' plumbing I've seen), when I noticed he'd 'notched' a joist to get the waste to the soil stack.

He'd notched 50% of the joist, around 350mm from the wall!

did it once and end it up paying for 7 new joists and all the labour cost to woody and sparky

will never ever do it again

A mate of mine notched 2" deep into a 4" x 2" joist. I could hardly talk when I saw it.

I asked a "qualified" plumber to drill 4 holes to pass 22mm through. Stupid muppet drilled them vertically! Managed to stop him halfway through the second hole!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 40mm Waste across Joists. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock