Search the forum,

Discuss acs renewal time in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

REDSAW

whats the best or necessary things to brush up on?

i was told its all changed, does this just refer to all the updates or the way its done?

Resat mine the other month for the third time and its still the same old 1970s o/f boilers, tightness testing, ventilation and trying not to loose the plot.
Not forgetting ID and AR that might of been mentioned in one of those gas mags that ends up on the door mat.

Nothing much ever changes. You do it on a computer now tho. If they would stop ****ing about and just get on with it about you could be in and out in with the usual ones done in a day.
I just sit the tests btw.

Nothing much ever changes. You do it on a computer now tho. If they would stop ****ing about and just get on with it about you could be in and out in with the usual ones done in a day.
I just sit the tests btw.
still pens and papers at mine!

i find it frustrating and confusing when they go around the houses and the papers are all given in random order?????
booked me in for a refresher though and doing a couple more tickets for ÂŁ50 each.
not sure who feels there getting the better deal me or them.lol

I didn't bother with refresher training Martin. Nothing's changed apart from the NCS not needing a notice written out. All the ventilation, flueing, it's all the same. In and out in 2.5 days, including adding MET 1. Shouldn't have bothered with that either, apparently you can move meters without the MET ticket.

Last edited by a moderator:
re did mine for the 1st time a few months ago
my college has changed examining body am i'm not impressed with the new one, it wasnt that it was hard, quite the opposite, it was just everything was deep in obscure regs.
before i was thinking it would be good to have a brush up, re read my corgi book before attending only not many questions concerned what was in the corgi book or related to the actual job outside the college
everything was from these black folders they handed out and you basically had to match up the way the question was written to the black folders

for the most part found it very far removed from actually being a gas engineer

also nothing on new rules regarding NCS

Last edited:
Depends where you go and who the certification body is, I ran some reassessments today and 4 guys failed, even with refresher training. 5 years in the real world and they can't even do a tightness test, outstanding!

Depends where you go and who the certification body is, I ran some reassessments today and 4 guys failed, even with refresher training. 5 years in the real world and they can't even do a tightness test, outstanding!

cant do a TT? bloody hell,should be banned from the industry,dangerous halfwits

I did mine last year and there was a bloke ex BG for 12 years and on own for 3 doing a refresher and he could not put a TT on!

Most of the stuff is still the same, tightness testing has changed a tiny bit, some new stuff on flues, purging has changed a little bit (easier than before, but still incorrect imho), pipe sizing has changed totally, gonna need bigger pipe on some jobs I think.

I'm constantly surprised at how poor some engineers are, as an assessor I'm not overly worried about the question papers, but you have to be safe! If you can't do the job safely on assessment, how can I in good conscience let you loose on innocent members of the public?!

Most of the stuff is still the same, tightness testing has changed a tiny bit, some new stuff on flues, purging has changed a little bit (easier than before, but still incorrect imho), pipe sizing has changed totally, gonna need bigger pipe on some jobs I think.

I'm constantly surprised at how poor some engineers are, as an assessor I'm not overly worried about the question papers, but you have to be safe! If you can't do the job safely on assessment, how can I in good conscience let you loose on innocent members of the public?!

are you going to share eaxamples or leave me to wonder? ;)
like to know if i already know, its costing me money!!

Just send the wife and if she doesn't pass you have grounds for divorce.
The whole thing is a joke but it is slightly better than nothing and i supposer it keeps the unemployment rate down a bit.

Redsaw, pressure ranges have changed, let by now 7-10, Temp at 20-21 and TT same. Purging is easier, PIV total + 10% for fittings and add MIV. Now you have IV, PV is simply IV x 1.5.

Tbh I wouldn't worry about the pipe sizing, for the one or two questions you need it for the old way will work for your assessment :)

Redsaw, pressure ranges have changed, let by now 7-10, Temp at 20-21 and TT same. Purging is easier, PIV total + 10% for fittings and add MIV. Now you have IV, PV is simply IV x 1.5.

Tbh I wouldn't worry about the pipe sizing, for the one or two questions you need it for the old way will work for your assessment :)
temp?
no diffrent then lol
hope i can use my app because i bet i have forgot the working math lol

Depends where you go, we don't allow the apps, although I think it's more for possible use of Google than the use of the app :), that and some tit will try it on to take photos of questions etc.

Depends where you go, we don't allow the apps, although I think it's more for possible use of Google than the use of the app :), that and some tit will try it on to take photos of questions etc.

Ye know as well as i do its all a lot of pi sh. The wife could look up a book as quick as i could if i told her how it goes and a half hour coaching to anyone with half a brain could pass a practical

The full system is shyte and needs a red out.

Btw if it was left to me i'd make it so hard to pass we'd be lucky to have 5000 guys in the country who could work on gas
The way it is now (and from the start) they recognize that your average plumber, gas guy is thick as mince so they can't make it hard to pass or there would be a shortage of people to do the job so they employed some smart persons to work out the mean difference between thick and killing someone and set the tests to suit. Pretty clever stuff really. Slightly above reading the Sun but below reading the Guardian but it doesn't excuse the system. Its shtye and always has been and people leaving the tests learn very little.
There is so much i would change in the system if i had the powers.
Always the sceptic.

Btw if it was left to me i'd make it so hard to pass we'd be lucky to have 5000 guys in the country who could work on gas
The way it is now (and from the start) they recognize that your average plumber, gas guy is thick as mince so they can't make it hard to pass or there would be a shortage of people to do the job so they employed some smart persons to work out the mean difference between thick and killing someone and set the tests to suit. Pretty clever stuff really. Slightly above reading the Sun but below reading the Guardian but it doesn't excuse the system. Its shtye and always has been and people leaving the tests learn very little.
Always the sceptic.

I agree with that 100% people are trained or guided to pass an assessment. It is very much different to an apprenticeship when you learned how to do stuff. The current NVQ system is rubbish unless you work for a company that allows you to learn, my apprentice is a good lad he knows his stuff and is paid well and does a good job. sorry for the rant I call him the apprentice because he started as one a long time ago

Always the sceptic.

Sooo true, where I go they never fail anyone, or rarely and you have to be missing half your head to not pass. Last time I did it, 5 guys off a local caravan park had started on the Monday and were still there on friday afternoon still, only done the short course, never really done ought but plumbing but are now certifying 100s of cookers etc on site!!! I turned up on tuesday, popped back friday to finish off as i had work booked, they couldnt understand how I managed to do more segments than them :)

Re-did mine just over 12 months ago, the week before I went was speaking to a lad in local merchant's and he asked me where I was going, he'd done his two weeks previous. When I told him he recoiled and said you must be mad they're really strict there. Why didn't you book 'this place' they're really easy going, they helped me all the time.

So I went to where I'd booked and did the two day refresher which was spot on, did the practical's all standard stuff, passed the paper's easily. While I was in the paper exams the bloke who runs the place (ex Corgi inspector) came in to the room and explained to one of the lads that he was sending two of his mates home, not fit to pass the practical exams. He said tell them to brush up on things, and come back when they feel confident.
First time I've seen anyone sent home incompetent.

all done! piece of pish ;) and 2 extra tickets in 2 1/2 days
spent more time chatting and drinking tea.

does that mean you can have a gsr logo now then next to your admin one? :)

we could go the full hog choice with;

A) mr redsaw, cgli-gocp, bsc(hon)!
B) redsaw, gs-registered, trusted advisor, super-mod, trusted!
C) redsaw, ADMIN
D) or in your case..SIR

less is more.lol
:tounge_smile:

"some animals are more equal than others" same old same old :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to acs renewal time in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just an update to anyone who was following the thread on this site: Tify to gas engineer, what will it take? I got a DM from a user asking for an update, he like myself was gobsmaked at the level of abuse I got from asking a basic question. Thanks Tom for the DM, I managed to pass in 2019...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator pipes during the strip out. Not the end of the world as damages happens. I am responsible builder and paying my bills and to repair the damages if...
Replies
Views
I am looking into a new Main eco compact / Baxi 618 system boiler set up for PDHW (if its possible) I was hoping to use the EPH controls priority hot water pack I currently have a 15year old HWC around 900mm tall by 450mm dia would I benefit from a new fast recovery HWC for the system (I...
Replies
Views
I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 15i condenser boiler which is about 13 years old. There is a separate hot water tank. Recently the fan in the boiler has started to stay on all the time. My usual engineer took a look at it and advised me to contact the manufacturer. I then had an engineer from...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock