Discuss ADVICE-40mm waste leaking ceiling. Pipes at angle/undefeated pressure? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Sorry, but going right back to posts #1, #2 and #5, the thing I'm not clear about is whether solvent glue works properly with your grey pipe? You major on the size being correct, but are you sure the solvent actually dissolves the surface of the pipe significantly, as it needs to do for a sound joint?
Sorry, but going right back to posts #1, #2 and #5, the thing I'm not clear about is whether solvent glue works properly with your grey pipe? You major on the size being correct, but are you sure the solvent actually dissolves the surface of the pipe significantly, as it needs to do for a sound joint?

Good point but surely even if it was push it/compression it would be PVC?

I definitely remember when i first had the leak it was from the white pipe to the white coupler.
I’m certain if that as i pulsed it out and the coupler was still on the grey.

I’ll see if I can follow it back and spot any other fittings but u doubt it.

I’ve only seen videos of people using different glues on differing pipes but in the USA.

It looks/cuts like PVC.

What else do they use in the U.K. for waste?

I’ve seen the blue MDPE stuff for supplies and 4” soil stuff. that’s it tbh.

Stilll not had chance to do it with work etc I’ll finish early one day next week.

It was just a thought. I had the experience of using solvent glue on push-fit, where the adhesive went hard, but didn't meld into the pipe. The joint leaked after a while☹️.
I'm not knowledgeable about the different plastics, but I thought there were only some that solvent adhesive was suitable for.
Perhaps someone here could clarify?

Looking on the web it seems that push fit is typically made of polypropylene and solvent weld pipe is ABS. Polypropylene is not suitable for solvent adhesive, which must have been the reason for the problem I experienced!!

Last edited:

Reply to ADVICE-40mm waste leaking ceiling. Pipes at angle/undefeated pressure? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock