Discuss Advice - Difficult Access Sockets for 1/2" and 3/4" tap nuts? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All

Looking to replace taps on a cast iron bath, accessing them is near impossible (i even had to remove toilet). The taps are old lifter type with brass 3/4" nuts that seem welded on! The basin is much the same tbh.

I have a tap remover set like this and after 10 mins of finally getting it on the nut it will not budge as i can not apply enough pressure (doing it 'blind' with my arm fully extended/no 'purchase') to release the nut and i presume it will be like this for the whole length of the tap thread.
My tap wrench.JPG

I then came across this set that i thin would do it but i do not need the wrench/bars etc, just the ends as i have a few good quality socket sets.

Tap wrench Socket set.JPG

So i searched just for the 1/2" and 3/4" ends but could not find them, but i did come find this Difficult Access Sockets 3/8 + 1/2" Drive 10mm - 19mm

I presume 1/2" will just be 13mm and 3/4" will be 19mm, BUT i think the nuts are bigger tbh....as how can a 22mm pipe (bath feed) have a 19mm size nut on the tap?

Can anyone advise please as to what size the nuts retaining both 13mm and 22mm taps are?

If not i think i have no choice than to order the full set.

Thanks in advance.

Good luck as I’ve had to use an 18” stilson before to remove some can you try putting some heat on the nut ?

Yes, i can just about see the thread with a torch, thread covered in putty but if i could get a car ratchet socket spanner on it i should be able to remove it, i just don't need the full set with wrench/extension bars etc

cheers

Wow never seen them before, great idea (much like my palm wrench i use in vehicles).

Yes the question is what size are the actual retaining nuts, been googling and can't seem to find the size's.

But i think they are 27mm for 1/2" and 32mm for 3/4"?

So my original idea would not work. Crazy that nobody sells them to fit a ratchet bar.

Cheers

@ShaunCorbs
I don't think there's a long socket that deep mate.

@Basher
Stupid prices, that's why i posted, rather cut tap from above with grinder/slicing disc tbh.

I can reach in then, cut pipe and fit a flexi and 3/4"/22mm pipe.

I though stuff it i'll take bath out after i removed the toilet to barely get my had to it....

It's must be 50 years old, the cast iron legs are massive, compared to the new plastic Rubbish it's unreal, i could not make it move 1mm...lol

must be 50 years old, the cast iron legs are massive, compared to the new plastic Rubbish it's unreal, i could not make it move 1mm...lol
Extracted one recently. Don't know how they ever got it into the room - it certainly wouldn't fit through the door. A bit of effort, ear defenders, a sledgehammer, and trip to the tip 🥵.
Lived up to my name for once 😂

Reply to Advice - Difficult Access Sockets for 1/2" and 3/4" tap nuts? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock