Discuss Advice on cylinder upgrade in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

coup27

Hi,

I am upgrading my existing vented cylinder + 2x loft tanks setup for an unvented + no tanks setup. I am not a plumber and won't be doing this work myself. I have had 3 quotes for the work along with my other plumbing changes and I have a few questions I would like advice on.

1. 1 of the 3 plumbers has included to install a new 22mm cold main pipe from the incoming stop tap to the new cylinder. Can someone advise me on why only 1 thinks this is required? The house was built in 1988.

2. All 3 plumbers have proposed different cylinder sizes, 110, 150 and 210 litre. The house has 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. The main bathroom will have a shower bath and the en-suite just a shower. There are 2 people living there. From my own research I think a 150 litre should be enough but I would like some feedback on this. Incidentally, it is the same plumber who wants to run a new pipe that has proposed a 210 litre cylinder.

3. Is there any benefit to a chemical flush if you install a Magnaclean and empty it out a few times after recommissioning?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Go with the only one who recommended a 22mm upgrade, he sounds like a proper tradesman.

2. If space permits, 210 is a good size

3. All existing systems need a powerflush prior to fitting a new appliance AND a filter for longevity of the new boiler and system efficiency

Have any of them tested your mains flow and pressure, I'd be looking at the guy who recommended upgrade. 210 would be best bet, might just be two of you now but you might sell and a family could move in and potentially be using a lot more water

Have any of them tested your mains flow and pressure, I'd be looking at the guy who recommended upgrade. 210 would be best bet, might just be two of you now but you might sell and a family could move in and potentially be using a lot more water

Providing, of course, that the floor where you are proposing that the cylinder be placed is capable of taking the load.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on cylinder upgrade in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, We have finally decided after a bit of a persuasion to have installed a utility room in our garage that currently houses our oil boiler...
Replies
Views
I have a vented hot-water cylinder that was installed when the house was built - 38 years ago! It has a header tank in the loft and the cylinder...
Replies
Views
Hi all, sorry about the long post but a novice here looking for some advice... I've just bought a 12 bedroom private house with 3 bathrooms that...
Replies
Views
I'd like to install an unvented cylinder in the loft. With limited headroom it would have to be horizontal. I want to keep my existing valiant...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a 300L unvented indirect cylinder to work with a standard heat only boiler. I may have solar panels in the future...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock