Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Advice on DIY heatpipes in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi guys, looking for a bit of advice. I'm experimenting with heating solutions for my outdoor potting shed & workshop & I'm putting together an electric tube heater connected to copper heat pipes. Now I'm starting off small just as an experiment to see if I can do it & then upscale if needs be. So my question is about the heat pipe itself. I'm wanting to start off by making a 50cm length of copper piping, sealed at both ends eventually, but I'm trying to work out how much water to use to create the right amount of evaporation with still a small amount of water left to keep the cycle in the vacuum. I assume I create by heating the bottom with the water & having a fixing at the top loosely fitted so steam starts to push out & then I would seal it. And water comes to boil much lower than 100c when in a strong vacuum?
I was thinking about having multiple pipes cut at 50cm with the same fixings at 1 end & then pour in different amounts for each pipe & then seal when its boiling & a vacuum has been created & see which transfers heat the best & then repeat. But I thought I would ask first in case any of you wise people have already done this & know the amounts needed to save me the time testing.
I plan on using standard 15mm piping as it seems to be cheaper per meter than 10 or 8mm piping.
Thanks in advance.

What do you wish to achieve by lowering the boiling point of water?

If you want to heat your potting shed, why would you want to lower the temperature of the water to reduce the heat output of the system you are trying to design.

Lower water temp = lower heat output.

Lower pressure = lower boiling point.
Higher pressure = higher boiling point.

eg: Water boils on Mt Everest at 68C. Water boils at sea level at 100C.

How much heat do you want to transfer?

Here is an example of an 8 x 350mm heat pipe that uses water:

SF-08-350-S | Heat Pipe, Heat Pipe, 8 x 350mm | RS - https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/heatsinks/8670950

The rated heat is 32 W which may be useful for cooling electronics but is not much for heating.

The performance of a heat pipe is mainly determined by its wick structure, which performs 3 primary functions: First, to allow the backflow of the liquid from the condenser section to the evaporator section; Second, to allow the heat transfer between the inner wall and the fluid; Third, to provide room for the fluid to change phase.

Standard Heat Pipes | MyHeatSinks - https://myheatsinks.com/heat-pipe-solutions/standard-heat-pipes/

Without a suitable wick the heat transfer between the water vapour and copper tube will be small making the heat pipe ineffective.

Reply to Advice on DIY heatpipes in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock