Discuss Air in heating g system - Already had two plumbers fail to diagnose. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

The air is being sucked in via the vent so if you seal it the air wouldn’t get in also you would run it at a pressure of 1 bar not 6

you’ve said you had it pressure tested for leaks so in theory the system would be ok sealed

try turning the pump speed down to 2 it’s on 3 atm

The air is being sucked in via the vent so if you seal it the air wouldn’t get in also you would run it at a pressure of 1 bar not 6

you’ve said you had it pressure tested for leaks so in theory the system would be ok sealed

try turning the pump speed down to 2 it’s on 3 atm
The guy pressure tested it at 2 bar. He said he didn't want to go any higher just in case.

I already turned the pump down to 2 and it made no difference. I turned it up to 3 hoping it would address the cold radiator issue I mentioned in my original post. It didn't.

You would be fine sealing it then

If it’s sealed no air can get in

Thanks for the replies. Here are some photos of the unvented tank and components around it. I have also attached a vid up in the loft showing the feed and vent pipes and a few photos. At the end of the video, the pipes drop down to the airing cupboard (hot water tank).

I considered sealing the heating system when we replaced the vented tank, but it was spending money on something that to my knowledge at the time provided no additional benefits. The heat-only boiler was replaced before we considered the extension, so we never considered an alternative (the old one died on us so we just needed a new one asap). We also have very high water pressure coming into the house (6 bar which I assume you’d have to limit) which is great for showers but scares me a little connected to a 25-year-old heating system. If I was to replace the open system with a sealed system am I not just masking the underlying problem? Would the air currently going into the F&E tank instead just trigger the pressure release valve?

John.g – you said it looks like there’s been something wrong for a long time based on the condition of f&e. Can you elaborate a little? There’s a thin layer of sludge at the bottom but other than that it looks ok to me.

Thanks again.
There should be no sludge of any description in that tank.
I had a look at your attachments but you can inform easier on your set up, Is the pump on the flow from the boiler and if so the accepted way of installing the vent and feed is (from the boiler) vent, cold feed then pump with the vent and cold feed no more than 150MM apart, if not like this you might show where the cold feed tees into the system.
Another way and better IMO is to have a combined vent and cold feed like my > 40 year old system which is spotless.
You can convert to a sealed system obviously or convert to the combined vent & cold feed which only needs a few litres of water drained down and almost guaranteed success, just ensure the vent is clear, the insulation looks kinked on it but I presume the actual vent isn't.

Attachments

• Combined Cold Feed & Vent. rev1.JPG
    Combined Cold Feed & Vent. rev1.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 17
Think it’s combined feed and vent atm pipe off the top of the h

Could be, and if so then points to some blockage somewhere but far better to combine high up like mine as the cold feed "can't" have a blockage and as long as the vent is absolutely clear cannot vent or pump back.

Getting a bit over my head now but I think it is combined if this (attached photo) is what you mean. The tank has never moved and we never had any problem prior to the installation of new radiators and replacement of the vented cylinder.

A blockage has been mentioned a few times. Which part of the system is likely to have the blockage? Could it be related to the lukewarm radiator (one of the new ones on ground floor) I mentioned in the original post? All other radiators work absolutely fine now I've added the automatic air release valves even with the pump on the medium settings so the hot water is moving about.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• compbined.PNG
    compbined.PNG
    191.2 KB · Views: 16

Reply to Air in heating g system - Already had two plumbers fail to diagnose. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
My daughter's place has a small water leak on a ground floor radiator valve. The radiator pipework is small diameter.i.e 8 or 10 mm. A plumber...
Replies
Views
Hi to all, I have bought a new radiator as replacement for old one. After installation by plumber, the new radiator is heating up only to 1/3...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have just installed a vented McDonald 250L thermal store, it is for multi fuel but currently just connected to a standard oil boiler in...
Replies
Views
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up...
Replies
Views
B
Issue with boiler short cycling in system with hot water tank. We have an ideal heating logic heat2 h15 boiler which feeds a hot water tank...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock