Discuss Anti rust solution in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rains_kars

Can somebody please advise me on how to do this as the plumber going to do has let e down several and I was going to tackle it myself.

(Putting anti rust liquid into central heating system)
  • How do I put this into the central heating system?
  • where do I put it in?
  • Can somebody give me an idiots guide and make me aware of any complications that might arise?
Many many thanks in advance

It' called corrosion inhibitor, you can get it at plumbing trade counters.
It should come with the kit to put it in the system.
Easiest way to apply is to drain down system to allow a little air pocket in upper most radiator.

To drain down, turn off power supply, make sure cold feed to system is off; on vented system, turn off service valve to feed and expansion tank (in loft). On unvented make sure filling loop is closed, it should be already.

Then attach a hose with a jubilee clip to drain off valve which should be at low point on system, have hose running to drain outside or ground floor toilet or something - make sure there is an air gap between end of hose and drain (If you are draining whole system need to advice local water company, shouldn't need to do this as just draining a little bit).
Open drain valve, open bleed valves on upper most radiator to let air in.
Once air has been sucked in (rather than air/water comming out) to bleed valve for a wee while, turn off drain valve.

Then completley remove male part of bleed valve, fit attachement which came with inhibitor into this hole and inject the inhibitor. (read the bottle!)
Then refill system (vented = turn back on service valve to F+E), (unvented turn on filling loop 'til pressure dial on boiler is where it should be, then turn off again). Then bleed air out of radiator and repressure if neccessary.

If you don't understand any part of this... get a plumber to do it ( maybe a different plumber if the one you have been using is finding this taxing^^).

Might be worth adding a system cleanser and leaving in for a while, then drain down and refill adding system inhibitor. Make sure you don't have a primatic though!

thanks for ur replies really appreciate it

can I please ask ampther question this ones to do with my heating I have a gas bioler with the option to put the heating on downstairs or upstairs but the radiaitors upstairs are never really that warm (Maybe 1 gets warm) but the other ones are luke warm...what could be the problem, thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Zone valve fault,sludge or lack of water in F&E, Thermostatic rad valves stuck?

Last edited:
Are you adding corrosion inhibitor as standard or is there a problem with the system?
Do you have a vented or sealed system?

Last edited:
thanks guys for all the advice I will find out when I get home what type of system I have...

the inhibtor is being added after the system developed a leak at the stopcock, the stopcock was replaced and now I think I was told the inhibtor should be added...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Anti rust solution in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock