Discuss Auto air vent question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like its on the flow not the return, unless you have reversed the pipes. Why are you getting so much air would be a better question? What is the open vent cold feed arrangement?

Our house was newly built 14 year ago. From what I gather the system is poorly configured. A neighbour in the same style house got British Gas out to see about cover and they said they wouldn't cover it because it was poorly designed!! However it has got gradually noisier over the years and I've just ignored it really. There has never been any kind of cleaner or inhibitor added either. So I've cleaned it using F3 (loads of magnetite/rubbish) and adjusted the level of the water in the f&e tank as it was about 3/4 full when cold. There is only about 300mm between the level of the water and the top of the vent pipe so think this might need adjusted. These two things have made a definite improvement and changing the rubbish cheap AAV was my next step. I do still think I need a professional to check things out and I plan to do this along with having a filter fitted next year.

I hope you didn't fill your feed & expansion tank too much? there has to be some room for system expansion in there when the system is hot :)

I hope you didn't fill your feed & expansion tank too much? there has to be some room for system expansion in there when the system is hot :)

No I bent the ballcock to lower the amount as the level was far too high. It's about 1/3 full when cold now and seems lots quieter. Not sure if air was being drawn down the vent pipe when it was fuller

Auto Air Vents are generally pretty good mate, need cleaned out every few years as the can tend to stick with crap build up in them :)

Well this new one seems much more efficient. The old one used to weep. I'm going to follow the advice from Chalked and try and buy a couple of elbow threaded joints to get it installed vertically

No I bent the ballcock to lower the amount as the level was far too high. It's about 1/3 full when cold now and seems lots quieter. Not sure if air was being drawn down the vent pipe when it was fuller
Probably full again now. I think your cold feed and open vent go into the system in the wrong place and its circulating and drawing air into the system.

Probably full again now. I think your cold feed and open vent go into the system in the wrong place and its circulating and drawing air into the system.

Do you mean the configuration in the loft and the pipework into the f&e tank? I do believe that air may be drawn down the vent pipe as it has been noisy on start up but is quiet again after about 30 seconds. I do think the vent pipe needs to be higher above the level of the water in the tank. Is this what you mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Auto air vent question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hey guys in the know. I have paid for a heating and plumbing contract and had to pay my excess 3 times for the same thing still not fixed. The...
Replies
Views
… praying to the plumbing God, Bob Pictures and layout details attached, so be patient. 21 year old oil fired system in pretty good nick. I...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m replacing my old Honeywell Smartfit system on a oil fired gravity-fed system in a bungalow. I’ve read conflicting advice on gravity fed...
Replies
Views
Hi Right I have quite a few questions about the current setup as shown in attached piccy. Manual air vent B in picture is on return leg, Auto...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock