Discuss Bad smell from behind toilet pan where pan connector pipe slots into waste pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

Can you give me some advice please?. I live in a one bed on the 3rd floor of a 12 year old flat. I have a mildly bad smell that seems to be coming from the 1/2 gap where the large pan connector pipe slots into the waste pipe. The smell is not coming from the water that lays in the pan itself after flushing. The smell comes and goes and is better after flushing and seems to smell more of stagnant water rather than sewage. MY QUESTION IS can I block up the 1/2inch gap where the 2 pipes meet (with sanitary sealant or duck tape?)...or is the gap there for a reason?. IS THERE a special rubber fitting or washer etc. that I can buy for this reason and to "plug" the gap ?...any advice really appreciated!...regards

Welcome to the forum dimmy. You don`t say if you`ve recently had any work done in the room or how long you`ve lived there but you can`t have a 1/2" gap so I`m thinking the rubber seal is there but you can`t see it.

Pan connectors age and lose flexibility, normally not a problem, but if disturbed and reused may become an issue. If in doubt and access is not a problem I would replace. McAlpine, fittings with moulded socket are reliable.

or just bung it up with plumbers mate if you are on a low budget and know nothing about plumbing. roll it into a sausage and gently fill the gap all round , smoothing off with a wet finger (remembering NOT to lick your finger to do this)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bad smell from behind toilet pan where pan connector pipe slots into waste pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views
Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock