Discuss Bending 22mm pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi the hand held looks more hard work?
Isn,t it about right tools, pay a bit more, easy life?:tounge_smile:

Hand held! Good for upper body muscle building!

If you are a bit devoid of muscles it can be hard to bend 22mm in a hand bender though.

It's easy. Just put one bender arm on the ground and put your body weight on the other :)

A good quality hand held bender or a good quality floor bender will both bend pipes neatly & properly.
The floor bender is far superior overall for most work though. Very foolish to attempt large jobs with a hand bender as it will get hard work after a while.
I have 2 floor Hilmor benders which are probably 50 years old, one of which is fairly big and has a vice plus an adjustable lever arm which means I can set it to suit this modern light copper we get nowadays. The other standard sized Hilmor bender is fairly easy to carry.
I also have a Record hand bender which is excellent & handy & a new unused Hilmor.

I use a old record one that my gf's grandad gave me. But it seems to deform the pipe in the guides a little. Then the pipe is really tough to get out. Only on 22mm though. Anyone know why?

I use a old record one that my gf's grandad gave me. But it seems to deform the pipe in the guides a little. Then the pipe is really tough to get out. Only on 22mm though. Anyone know why?

Are you sure the wheel is actually 22mm? It could be for 3/4". Any of the old wheels I know of were green colour for 22mm & red for 3/4"
Make sure you clean the wheels etc with emery cloth & steel wool & give them a spray of oil.

Hi the hand held looks more hard work?
Isn,t it about right tools, pay a bit more, easy life?:tounge_smile:

Depends really. If your work is mostly domestic then you will rarely work on anything larger than 22mm. The floor benders are a lot more bulky than hand ones and so take up more space in the van and take longer to set up.

if you regularly work with 28mm or larger pipe then it's worth spending the cash on them.

I expect my apprentices to be pulling accurate bends every time after a year working with me (using a hand bender).

Thanks all, hand held it is for now.
Practice makes perfect.(Will end up destroying innocent 22mm pipe this saturday morning lol.):tounge_smile:

Hi I have found a hand held device, is hard work pulling a simple 90 degrees bend?
Lot of muscle needed, in my opinion?:tounge_smile:

Yep, lots of muscle needed with a hand bender & 22mm!
Try resting one of the handles of the bender on the ground as somebody said earlier & that lets you lean on the other handle using your weight to help you.
Trust me, best way is to own both a hand bender & a floor bender. If you ever get a fairly big job bring the big floor bender as well to do most of the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bending 22mm pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back