Search the forum,

Discuss Bleeding Radiators in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Maybe a silly question here, but is bleeding radiators, one in particular! Every 3 Months roughly.
Is this normal on a combi boiler? or should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance everyone 😊

Is it air or hydrogen? Once a system, beit sealed or open vented is filled and initially bled there should be no build-up of gases. Every three months suggests there's a problem somewhere.

Is it air or hydrogen? Once a system, beit sealed or open vented is filled and initially bled there should be no build-up of gases. Every three months suggests there's a problem somewhere.
Whats the best way of finding out if its air or hydrogen?
I've just bled the radiators so probably wont need bleeding for 3 months or so!

Replace Boiler & offending radiator.

If the problem persists after boiler and radiator replacement, it's a normal problem.

Personally, I would persist with the problems of bleeding the radiators until the boiler stops working for good.

I do... and have been waiting for my boiler to give up and die for more than 10 years.

If it was hydrogen it would pop if you put a lit match to it. The next time you vent the radiator vent it into an upturned cup and put a match to it. Don't catch too much of a sample and be careful if you do try that. Hydrogen is odourless, however hydrogen sulphide produces a rotten egg smell. Hydrogen sulphide is caused by a bacterial problem.

Reply to Bleeding Radiators in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed gas could be burned with a blue flame and the water was acidic (pH 5.5). Since then system has been chemically flushed (it was not too bad) and the...
Replies
Views
When I turn on our CH there's a lot of noise from one specific part of the system - the pipes on the landing, and one radiator. It sounds like air, and the landing radiator needs bleeding regularly (about once a month), even though it isn't the highest point in the system. The two upright rads...
Replies
Views
I bought the a bleed valve from S****fix about a year ago: s****fix.com/p/radiator-vent-blanking-plug-nickel-2-pack/40972 It worked fine initially, but I noticed that the little bleed screw needed to be turned a little tighter each time I bled that radiator to seal it up again. Having bled it...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a customer with a modern anthracite vertical radiator and a modern TRV and lockshield. The radiator makes a loud metallic bang from within the radiator, when it heats up and cools down. I have opened the lockshield fully, lowered the boiler pressure from 2.5 bar to just over 1...
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that has previously been extended. In one of the bedrooms that has been extended there are 2 radiators, one which looks like it was fitted when the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock