Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Boiler plume help needed...... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

merlecollins

Hi all,

I am in urgent need of some good advice please :confused:

I have recently had a plumber install a full oil fired heating system in my Mother In Laws house, which works great:D

Before the plumber designed the system, as we had 2 options, I approached the neighbour and asked if he minded if we positioned the flue terminal in a certain place which is near a door to a holiday cottage he rents out....As I felt that the terminal was well within the regulated distances I only asked out of courtesy really:rolleyes:

'Yes, no problem' he said...

We proceeded to order all the relevant products and install them.;)

He has since kicked up a bit of a fuss stating that the flume is causing him extreme concern as it is blowing into the doorway of his rental property and is less than 2500mm away from the wall of his house...:mad:

We installed it exactly where I said it was going to be installed and where he agreed to...:mad:

It is 760mm away from the rental property door and is 2100mm up from ground level..

Is there anything i can do to try and resolve this amicably?? I have been on the Worcester Bosch website and they don't seem to do 'plume management kits' for oil boilers....:confused:

Many thanks in advance;)

Always makes me laugh when I see these disputes,once you put yourself in your neighbours shoes for 2 secs you would realise the flue exhaust requires moving,never mind it does not in fact meet current regulations

Your neighbour was just probably trying being friendly and helpful,he may not of seen or realised the plumage size,in any case he is in no position (presume not qualified) to say were flue termination can or can not be

get a plumage kit fitted and positioned correctly

With regards
• Wall terminals should be sited a
minimum 2.5m from a facing wall, fence,
building, or the property boundary
– compared with 0.6m as given in
Approved Document J (gas and oil
boilers).
• Terminals must not be sited under a car
port roof.
• More restrictive requirements apply for
wall terminals sited at low level. ‘Low’
means a terminal sited below 2.1m. This
applies to:
– public foot ways and frequently used
access routes
– car parking spaces less than 2.5m from
terminal
– patio (hard surface area).
Where a plume diverter terminal is used,
the distance should be measured in the
direction of flue products.
Where wall terminals are difficult to
site, extended flue options shown in
Appendix B should be considered.
6 Flue terminal siting
It is necessary to site a condensing
boiler flue terminal such that the plume
of wet flue products does not impinge
on or significantly affect the use of the
householders’ dwelling and also the
neighbouring buildings.
• For the purposes of the Boiler
Installation Assessment Procedure
AND the final boiler installation it
is mandatory for the flue terminal
to be sited in accordance with the
requirements of Approved Document
J. These requirements are specified
for safety reasons and must always be
followed.
• For the purposes of the Condensing
Boiler Installation Assessment Procedure
ONLY, more stringent requirements
apply (given below) to reduce the
possibility of nuisance to neighbouring
buildings.

http://www.gov.je/SiteCollectionDocuments/Planning%20and%20building/ID%20AssessmentGuidetoCondensingBoilerInstallationinDwellings%2020100910%20mm.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Aye Puddle, thanks for that...

If Worcester Bosch don't do a plumage kit, do you know of a universal one for oil boilers or an alternative method?

Always makes me laugh when I see these disputes,once you put yourself in your neighbours shoes for 2 secs you would realise the flue exhaust requires moving,never mind it does not in fact meet current regulations

Your neighbour was just probably trying being friendly and helpful,he may not of seen or realised the plumage size,in any case he is in no position (presume not qualified) to say were flue termination can or can not be

get a plumage kit fitted and positioned correctly

With regards
• Wall terminals should be sited a
minimum 2.5m from a facing wall, fence,
building, or the property boundary
– compared with 0.6m as given in
Approved Document J (gas and oil
boilers).
• Terminals must not be sited under a car
port roof.
• More restrictive requirements apply for
wall terminals sited at low level. ‘Low’
means a terminal sited below 2.1m. This
applies to:
– public foot ways and frequently used
access routes
– car parking spaces less than 2.5m from
terminal
– patio (hard surface area).
Where a plume diverter terminal is used,
the distance should be measured in the
direction of flue products.
Where wall terminals are difficult to
site, extended flue options shown in
Appendix B should be considered.
6 Flue terminal siting
It is necessary to site a condensing
boiler flue terminal such that the plume
of wet flue products does not impinge
on or significantly affect the use of the
householders’ dwelling and also the
neighbouring buildings.
• For the purposes of the Boiler
Installation Assessment Procedure
AND the final boiler installation it
is mandatory for the flue terminal
to be sited in accordance with the
requirements of Approved Document
J. These requirements are specified
for safety reasons and must always be
followed.
• For the purposes of the Condensing
Boiler Installation Assessment Procedure
ONLY, more stringent requirements
apply (given below) to reduce the
possibility of nuisance to neighbouring
buildings.

http://www.gov.je/SiteCollectionDocuments/Planning%20and%20building/ID%20AssessmentGuidetoCondensingBoilerInstallationinDwellings%2020100910%20mm.pdf

most manufacturers nave a wide variety of flue and plumage systems,worcester being no exception,you have to use the manufacturers equipment unless they state otherwise,give them a ring you ill find very helpful

Spoke with WB and although there currently is no oil boiler plumage management kit available, they are releasing one for sale in the first quarter of next year.;)

puddle is in fact incorrect as the 2.5 m away from a boundary fence etc is guidance NOT regulation. I have been through this with my local building control and environmental health office and as long as the flue is 600m away and is not blocked there is no regulation governing any nuisance factor. building standards BS5440-1 recommends a boiler flue be sited away from where it may cause a nuisance but again this is recommendation not regulation.

Alchemilla is right.
im an oftec engineer, and im pretty sure the flue you have on a greenstar condensing oil boiler already has a form of plume diverter built into the flue terminal.
if you look at the end of the terminal where it comes out of wall, does it have 2 small cross head screws on its face? if so, take these out, and remove the tip of the terminal, turn it through 180 degrees, re fit and screw it back together.
if you have the type of flue i assume you have, the flue will now terminate at 45 degrees, and can be turned in spigot to force plume away from neighbour.
go check!!
have you a cage over terminal if lower than 6' from ground?
mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler plume help needed...... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock