Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler Weight - DUMB question alert!!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I'm no weakling by all means, but I'm no he-man either. I've started training to build up my strength again (used to train quite a lot a few years ago) to make my life easier when I start fitting boilers for my firm when I get gas safe.

I was reading through some boiler manuals (this is for a Greenstar 24I/28I Junior) and came across a 'lift weight' - see pic below:

Screenshot 2015-09-03 21.29.59.png

is this literally the weight of the boiler you'll lift, without the jig of course?? And if I am having a blonde moment, what does it mean?

Not sure what you mean, "what does it mean"?? It's the weight of the empty boiler, without jig or cover. The dead weight that you have to lift onto the bracket / jig.

I don't fit W-B but that seems like a massive difference between the boiler weight and lift weight...

Yes
Lift weight will be the minimum weight you can get the boiler down to.
No case, no jig, no packaging materials. (could be lightened by removing fan, pump and control section)

Packaged boiler weight is what it weighs when sent from the manufacturer.

Most new boilers aren't much of a struggle to lift about, some are but usually because of being fitted in awkward spaces rather than weight.

What you should be training for is removing some old boilers which weigh a ton! They can take you by surprise sometimes

I don't fit W-B but that seems like a massive difference between the boiler weight and lift weight...

That's what I thought.. Hence the *dumb* question in case I was wrong. I didn't think the jig weighed 12kg.. Obv it does! Cheers Masood

Yes
Lift weight will be the minimum weight you can get the boiler down to.
No case, no jig, no packaging materials. (could be lightened by removing fan, pump and control section)

Packaged boiler weight is what it weighs when sent from the manufacturer.

At 27kg I won't need to strip anything from it.. It's not too heavy to lift. Cheers snowhead

Most new boilers aren't much of a struggle to lift about, some are but usually because of being fitted in awkward spaces rather than weight.

What you should be training for is removing some old boilers which weigh a ton! They can take you by surprise sometimes

Tell me about it, I went to fit a new vessel on a Vaillaint turbomax plus 828e that was fitted inside a cabinet with a finger width room around the sides - luckily I fitted an external vessel in the end!

all i have to say is glow worm ultra com 35 store

67kg empty and thats a domestic combi nearly killed me putting it high and on

Last edited:
That's what I thought.. Hence the *dumb* question in case I was wrong. I didn't think the jig weighed 12kg.. Obv it does! Cheers Masood

I'm really not sure it can be 12Kg mate? Intergas jigs have the expansion vessel on them and they aren't that heavy!

its not the weight of the new boiler you want to worry about, its the weight of the old one you have to pull off the wall.

if your working for a company then your entitled to expect a 2 man lift, dont be a he man, he man cant pay his bills lying in bed with a bad back or hernia.

its not the weight of the new boiler you want to worry about, its the weight of the old one you have to pull off the wall.

if your working for a company then your entitled to expect a 2 man lift, dont be a he man, he man cant pay his bills lying in bed with a bad back or hernia.

Not an option - depending on location of the installation. If it's going up where ladder access is required (i.e. loft), than yes 2 men as I've assisted on those types of jobs. But if it's going in a kitchen or something we're on our own.

At the moment I'm comfortable with say 35-40kg by myself, anything more it's a struggle and certainly not 67kg like Shaun!!! I would definitely be calling for help ;)

Not an option - depending on location of the installation. If it's going up where ladder access is required (i.e. loft), than yes 2 men as I've assisted on those types of jobs. But if it's going in a kitchen or something we're on our own.

At the moment I'm comfortable with say 35-40kg by myself, anything more it's a struggle and certainly not 67kg like Shaun!!! I would definitely be calling for help ;)

do you get sick pay?

Your company will have a risk assessment and method statement about fitting the boiler. follow it and your covered. I bet it says 2 man lift? if only one man can fit in the space then mechanical lift device etc......

in the real world we just bang it on the wall however, its only when your injured and off work you start to take notice of these things.

the weight is not really what will get you its the method of lifting and shape of the weight. I used to dumbell bench press with 50kg dumbells without any bother but i hurt my back poorly lifting the dumbells out the weights rack.

do you get sick pay?

the weight is not really what will get you its the method of lifting and shape of the weight. I used to dumbell bench press with 50kg dumbells without any bother but i hurt my back poorly lifting the dumbells out the weights rack.

Sick pay? Nope!

Yeah I hear you re: method of lifting and shape of weight. 50kg dumbbell benches..?!?!? I need to start training harder haha that's pretty intense man.. So you basically benched with a boiler in each hand... Lol

Sick pay? Nope!

Yeah I hear you re: method of lifting and shape of weight. 50kg dumbbell benches..?!?!? I need to start training harder haha that's pretty intense man.. So you basically benched with a boiler in each hand... Lol

50kg was the max dumbell at the gym at the time. id probably only do half that now as i aye trained for about 10 years and im a fat feka with a repaired hernia in the back of my mind.

I'm sure Health and safety maximum lift weight is now 20kg which means you shouldn't lift a bag of sand by your self,

Although you maybe able to lift 3 on your own if you get hurt it's your own fault,

If your fitting boilers/removing always two man job if your working for a firm, they will have to send someone if you request its not work time off work due to a back injury that'll keep coming back trust me.

Ive had to drop some old boilers when I've been lifting them off up a ladder due to the weight lucky the houses have been empty when I've done that

image.jpg

On the lifting boilers problem, this is a 'genie lift' ( sorry not a great pic) Its a sack cart that lifts , I think to around 2m, I cadged it off a pal on my last heavy boiler swap , its an incredible piece of kit . Think it lifts up to about 80 kg , dont quote me on that.

View attachment 22782

On the lifting boilers problem, this is a 'genie lift' ( sorry not a great pic) Its a sack cart that lifts , I think to around 2m, I cadged it off a pal on my last heavy boiler swap , its an incredible piece of kit . Think it lifts up to about 80 kg , dont quote me on that.
Nice!! Saves the strains ;)

I'm sure Health and safety maximum lift weight is now 20kg which means you shouldn't lift a bag of sand by your self,

There isn't a Maximum.
Everyone, regardless of apparent build, has different capabilities.

thats dry weight of boiler.
others the wall hang weight when filled for fixing guide.

You boys need to do a few oil boilers and range cookers, they get your blood pumping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler Weight - DUMB question alert!!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem...
Replies
Views
Grateful for any advice regarding this problem. Flat about to be let and main heat exchanger in Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24i Junior has...
Replies
Views
Hi Can you help me determine if my new Navien lcb700 lsx is working as expected? I got the Navien oil boiler installed to replaced an old...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock