Discuss British Gas MD to get 10 million pound golden handshake! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the journalist is certainly taking the pith.

To arrive at that £10m figure, he has twisted the truth beyond all recognition.

To start with, he has valued £6.65m worth of share options as if they were cash. Depending on when the options were granted, and at what price, they could be worth anything between £sweet FA and £2-3 million.

Then he has lumped in the entire value of the man's pension pot, as if it was part of a payoff. Sure, the bloke is well paid (probably even over-paid) but that £3.6 million pension pot has been accumulated over several years - from the wording of the headline the journo makes it sound like its part of his golden handshake, which it clearly isn't.

The cash element of £635,000 is pretty juicy, but even that is a guess - the wording is "is expected to..." and presumably thats because thats what is in his contract? I expect my employers to honour my contract.

Finally, the conflation of retail gas prices with Phil Bentley's personal remuneration is a straightforward attempt to generate politics of envy, and make it sound like gas prices are only rising because of greedy fatcats like Bentley.

Rubbish journalism, and one of the reasons that I rarely buy a newspaper. I wonder if its the same journalist that wrote the "plumbers on £100k" article. Its just about as accurate.

I don't know whether Mr Bentley has provided good value to Centrica shareholders or not. Thats for them to decide. Unfortunately, with our current corporate governance arrangements, the smaller shareholders in particular probably won't have their voices heard.

You should put that to him on Twitter Ray. @DanMilmo

I don't tweet Howsie. I do have an account, but I don't know how to use it. Might ask MickW to do it, he is the twit(terer) round here. :)

I do hate this sensationalist style of journalism and I might even have a go at him myself later on.

Well the journalist is certainly taking the pith.

To arrive at that £10m figure, he has twisted the truth beyond all recognition.

To start with, he has valued £6.65m worth of share options as if they were cash. Depending on when the options were granted, and at what price, they could be worth anything between £sweet FA and £2-3 million.

Then he has lumped in the entire value of the man's pension pot, as if it was part of a payoff. Sure, the bloke is well paid (probably even over-paid) but that £3.6 million pension pot has been accumulated over several years - from the wording of the headline the journo makes it sound like its part of his golden handshake, which it clearly isn't.

The cash element of £635,000 is pretty juicy, but even that is a guess - the wording is "is expected to..." and presumably thats because thats what is in his contract? I expect my employers to honour my contract.

Finally, the conflation of retail gas prices with Phil Bentley's personal remuneration is a straightforward attempt to generate politics of envy, and make it sound like gas prices are only rising because of greedy fatcats like Bentley.

Rubbish journalism, and one of the reasons that I rarely buy a newspaper. I wonder if its the same journalist that wrote the "plumbers on £100k" article. Its just about as accurate.

I don't know whether Mr Bentley has provided good value to Centrica shareholders or not. Thats for them to decide. Unfortunately, with our current corporate governance arrangements, the smaller shareholders in particular probably won't have their voices heard.

The package he walks away with will be worth 10.000.000 pounds, how it is bundled up doesn't make a great deal of difference imo.

No one is saying that gas prices are only rising because of "fat cat" payments like Bentley's (obviously there are other factors involved), however, such windfalls obviously do contribute to the ever rising cost of energy.

Six companies have shared a monopoly since the privatisation of the utilities: gas and electricity are essential commodities for most people, and these companies have cashed in big time on exploiting the public's essential need for energy. Bentley's package is just one small aspect of the great British rip off.

No doubt he will make the most of any off-shore advantage he can gain re due taxes when the the time comes - something else that you sprang to the defence of - although of course you were just playing: "devils advocate" in that post! lol

He's not walking away with a package worth £10m.

Lets just take one part of his package, his options. He will have been granted options at various times during his tenure at BG. These options have a vesting timeline and a strike price (the price he buys them at). Say he had 100 options at a strike price of 40p. That means each of his shares are worth 60p of profit to him once he's purchased them. So to say his package includes the price he has to pay for them is simple wrong and intentionally misleading. Many people will read that headline and believe it. It isn't true.

Last edited:
The package he walks away with will be worth 10.000.000 pounds

No it won't Peter, unless he was granted his share options at £0 which I very much doubt.

I don't know when the share options were granted, but looking at Centrica's share price history, I would be surprised if those options are worth more than £3m, and they could very possibly be worth nothing at all.

I have a pension that has been building up over decades. When I eventually take it, I hope it will be worth a fortune. (Probably won't be, but I can live in hope). I suppose you could say that when I retire I will "walk away" with a package worth £whatever, but I consider that to be already mine, put away over the years to protect me when I can't work any more. Its not severance pay, its more like savings.

No doubt he will make the most of any off-shore advantage he can gain re due taxes when the the time comes - something else that you sprang to the defence of - although of course you were just playing: "devils advocate" in that post! lol

If we have a good year, I may take (perfectly legal) steps to reduce my tax liability, and it would be hypocritical of me to criticise someone else for doing the same thing, so long as it is legal.

That's the part I don't agree with Ray. Many of my clients do this and I think it's wrong but we agree to disagree on this point with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to British Gas MD to get 10 million pound golden handshake! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Fitted unvented hotwater cylinder building control looking forms signed it off job was in england i am qualified northern ireland send out a form...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock