Search the forum,

Discuss Broken flush on toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moving house in 2 days and toilet flush broke. I know nothing about toilets and all my tools are packed. THe hand presumably lifts something up via the steel wire shown and a 4 inch long plastic rod?

Attachments

• 20160725_183116[1].jpg
    20160725_183116[1].jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20160725_183129[1].jpg
    20160725_183129[1].jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 23
Going left to right on your picture you have the red float, the top of the syphon chamber (white plastic with lime-scale) and, submerged, a small white plastic oval. In the centre of this second oval there should be a rod, often black plastic, with a small hole drilled across its diameter, near the top. The metal wire from the inside black plastic part of the flush handle should go through this hole. When you press the outside handle, the inside part rises and pulls the rod up. This causes a diaphragm to force water into the syphon chamber, creating a syphon action which empties almost all the water out of the cistern and into the pan.

I would guess you have one of two problems:

a. The metal wire has simply come out from the hole in the rod. If this is the case, and you can get the rod up from its lowest level in the syphon, you can just hook them back together and it should all be OK.

b. The rod has spilt / cracked between the hole for the wire and the top of the rod. If this is the case you will have to change the entire syphon mechanism, which requires the cistern to be split from the pan and will in turn require a new "close coupled fixing kit" including a new "doughnut" washer.

If b. I'd suggest you get a plumber in considering your short timescale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Broken flush on toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock