Discuss Bsp npt sizing confusion in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I have recently purchased a bsp adapter for a npt pipe, the pipe has a 3/4" male end (thread size). The 3/4" adapter has a female opening of 1" and is obviously to large. I have received this response from the seller of the adapter...
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your reply. I think you may have been caught out by pipe thread sizes. With BSP and NPT the size is based on bore not thread diameter, it catches a lot of people out if you are not familiar. For instance 3/4 BSP and NPT actually measure appx 1" . If you need an adaptor that actually measures 3/4" then the thread size would be 1/2 BSP/NPT

Kind regards
The bore actually measures 5/8".
Am i being duped to avoid return charges?
Many thanks in advance
Confused Daniel

Pipe thread sizes always go up a size eg

3/4 bsp measures 1” od on threads
1/2 nap measure 3/4” od on threads

Most showers are 1/2” connections

Thank you both for your help, at least i'm not being scammed!!! So with 14 threads per inch theoretically I don't need an adapter anyway. The bore is still not 3/4" anyway but I'll chalk it up as something i'll never quite get my head around!
Many thanks
Daniel

The bore is still not 3/4" anyway but I'll chalk it up as something i'll never quite get my head around!
Many thanks
Daniel

The fitting is named after the internal bore diameter of the pipe but the fitting itself obviously has to be sized to accommodate the size of the bore plus the wall thickness of the pipe.

If you have a 1/2" pipe, the bore diameter is 1/2" but when you measure the internal diameter of the fitting, it's closer to 3/4" in size because it has to go over the pipe.

BSP threads have a 55 degree included angle on the threads, Whitworth style with rounded crests and valleys. NSPT threads are 60 degree included angle, SAE style, with flat crests and valleys. The two thread forms are not compatible.

Reply to Bsp npt sizing confusion in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

In short: Do suppliers sometimes list BSPT as BSP? I need a tee, 22mm each end with a BSPT in the middle for an expansion vessel to dangle from...
Replies
Views
Looking to see what iron pipe part can fit a 10mm ball joint? In this pic there is a part that connects the ball joint (or whatever they are...
Replies
Views
I am trying to source adaptors/reducers for the below taps for my renocation We have the tap ware currently but Union adaptors are needed to fit...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Good morning. I've purchased a Brondel Bidet seat (basic,non-electric) and fitted it to my UK close-coupled toilet. I knew it would come with US...
Replies
Views
Hi All I need to replace a leaking tap (separate, not a monobloc). I notice screw fix do 3 sizes, 8mm, 9mm and 10.5mm, is this just the diameter...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock