Discuss Can I claim againest a compression fitting that burst? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
As perviously posted by others the problem is proving it was installed correctly in the first place, perhaps it was overtightened & that has caused the soft brass nut to expand & finally spit when pressure was greatest (overnight) ?
Did you test it ? BS 6700 calls for ridged pipework systems to be tested to 1.5 times there maximum working pressure, this way any problems can be found & repaired under controlled conditions.
Your hand, in making a claim is either greatly enhanced by testing or reduced if you didn't.

bs6700.JPGOh, sorry BOD did you not mean me ?? LOL

There are two different angles being followed here.

I wouldn't go to too much trouble to establish where the fault lies, until I knew what the contractual chain looked like. There is little point in proving categorically that you are right, only to find that your supplier is going to stand on his terms and conditions.

On the other hand, its hard for your supplier to give you too much sympathy if you have clearly mullah-ed the fitting. We had a hose union tap returned recently which had sheared inside the backplate elbow. Looking at the tool marks on it, it appeared the fitter had tightened it up with 36" stillies. We still replaced it, but I wouldn't have been calling in any favours with the manufacturer on his behalf.

The basic test is/was the fitting an approved one or one that eminated from
the far east eg it might look like a WRas approved fitting but could be a clone
one - there are loads of this type about and only really well set up plumbing
merchant will know the difference - like Ray above.

Altecknic eg have massive problems with 'look alikes' valves and fittings
undercutting their prices and poor quality.

End of day go back to the installer - he bought it.........centralheatking

Just about everything supplied today is covered for itself / materials and workmanship / fit for use etc. That is if it fails to work / falls apart they will give you a new one. However the big thing which is almost never covered is consequential loss. Unless you have a lot of time on your hands I would just claim on your house insurance. A politely worded letter to the supplier or manufacturer might get you something on a strict good will basis though.

good to get a business side of things off ray on the forum ! how the chain works etc. gain the best idea of how to approch then !

Cheers everyone. Think ill claim on house insurance :( as I am the installer. Topically it would happen at my own home lol!
ive taken a couple of pictures but there not great. Ill try to post one on here. Ill also write a letter to my supplier.

When you claim from your own insurance you may be able to get them to take up it up with the fitting manufacturer if there is obviously a fault, i.e thin walls on the nut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can I claim againest a compression fitting that burst? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock