Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Can someone explain this system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

efficient

Hi, can someone explain this system please. No mid position or zone valves and system runs of a Randal 102 which has heating and hot water settings. How is the hot water controlled with no valves, or could this be a C plan with a zone valve hidden away.
image.jpg

Hot Water temp is controlled by the boiler stat setting.

Very common system when C-H started to become popular in the 60's /70's

where is the 22mm going up to ? is there just a auto air vent ?
likely c plan with pump under the floor or back boiler with pump an mv next to it

It's got no stat on the hot water cylinder, don't understand how it can have hot water only from the controller ??

Came across something similar the other day, tenant was complaining about bubbling noises from her cylinder, turned the stat on her BBU from max to about 2 and things were better after that.
Still shocking crap though :(

The boilers an old glow worn heat save 80B, shared vent and feed

That's what I said to the owners, but they reckon when they turn the room stat down they get hot water only.... Must be a valve under the floor

It's got no stat on the hot water cylinder, don't understand how it can have hot water only from the controller ??

Controller On.
Boiler fires.
Water gravity circulates up to cylinder.
As the Cylinder gets hotter the primary water from the boiler reaches boiler stat stting and the boiler switches off.

Added'
When the room stat is off, the pump is off, but the boiler is on from the controller.

Gravity hot water, pumped heating.
It's the most basic system you can get.

Last edited:
gravity circulation on return with 15mm aint got much luck there :) boiler will be overheating too quick me think

If you pull the programmer off ill bet only one channel is wired in, to get hot water only you have to turn off all lockshields.

Some thick cant has been in and changed a perfectly working gravity system to a fkd up system. It would take 2 minutes to look at it and half a shift to fix it if i spun it out! Heating is easy. Think about it!

Fk all to do with the proghrammer Billy. You Have a loit to learn :wink:

Damnit, ive never seen gravity on a 15mm return.
wouldent even think it would be any good with that?

infact i havent seen it in less than 28mm..

If you don't know I am not telling you, it is way before your time lads, the burn mark of the insulation goes goes to show the plumber wasn't concentrating.

Needs some more photos of what's below no one ever followed a PLAN in those days, this must be at least 50 years, even I was 20 then.

Looks like that 15mm or 1/2" may have been changed from 22mm or 3/4" look at the size of the hole, may have been gravity originally and then change to pumped.

A lot of early systems did not have cylinder control, I think the strap on cylinder stat came out in the early 1970ssss

The 22mm expansion (vent) was probably combined and the CF connected into the vent in the roof space.

This has the hallmark of up Norft!!

No BR in those days free for all. O

Last edited by a moderator:
Would not the 1/2" feed be running through a coil? - for domestic hot water.
Would not the tank be mostly full of HHW?
Would not the tank temperatures be controlled through a boiler stat on the front of the boiler?
Would not the heating be controlled by a thermostat operating a pump from the outlet of the HHW from the cylinder.
There may or may not be a pump from the top of the Glow Worm, if there is, it is circulating the water around the boiler piping and tank and most probably not doing the heating.

Just thinking out loud

Last edited:
It's a gravity system, hw on the time clock turns the boiler on ,then the boiler stat controls the hw temp ,the ch on the time clock then goes to the room stat which in turn runs the pump to supply heat to the rads ,have a look under the floor for the pump if it's not by the boiler,ps sell them a new boiler with proper controls,it's going to save them ÂŁ200-ÂŁ400 per year on gas!

Would not the 1/2" feed be running through a coil? - for domestic hot water.
Would not the tank be mostly full of HHW?
Would not the tank temperatures be controlled through a boiler stat on the front of the boiler?
Would not the heating be controlled by a thermostat operating a pump from the outlet of the HHW from the cylinder.
There may or may not be a pump from the top of the Glow Worm, if there is, it is circulating the water around the boiler piping and tank and most probably not doing the heating.

Just thinking out loud

No
No
No
No
Don't know....:13: need more photos that's what UKPF is always short of... it needs ripping out and starting again it's old tat, confined to the history books, let it RIP.

What else could it be then?

In the last 25 + years hot water systems have done a complete swing - 180 degrees.

Originally the cylinder was full of heating hot water and a coil was placed inside the cylinder to heat domestic hot water.
It also gave the customer instant heating - as soon as the thermostat started the pump - instant hot water to the panels.
Now cylinders have a heating hot water coil in them to heat a cylinder of domestic hot water.
This gives the consumer the amount of water in the cylinder as a storage / useable amount.

That's how I see it.

In the last 25 + years hot water systems have done a complete swing - 180 degrees.

Originally the cylinder was full of heating hot water and a coil was placed inside the cylinder to heat domestic hot water.
It also gave the customer instant heating - as soon as the thermostat started the pump - instant hot water to the panels.
Now cylinders have a heating hot water coil in them to heat a cylinder of domestic hot water.
This gives the consumer the amount of water in the cylinder as a storage / useable amount.

That's how I see it.

other way round over here. two different systems, thermal store and traditional hw storage

That's how I see it.

where are you based oz,do you do tube outs.sani's,or drains,come on spill the beans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can someone explain this system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Do people with this type of mixed flow temperature control have any problems with achieving the required manifold flow temperature? The one below...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Central Heating Pump - G Pump Force HE-RS25/6PWM-130 Hi, I would be grateful if someone could explain whether our CH system can cope with the...
Replies
Views
This valve is fitted to the lower heating coil of the hot water cylinder Can anyone say what is the point of it I have been told its a...
Replies
Views
Background 24 apartments are equipped with thermal stores of (100 to 150 litres) with immersion heater capability. Individual demand of each...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm going to replace the 3 way vale on my open heating system. Hoping someone can advise. In the picture, to isolate the valve I am going to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock