Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss cast iron toilet connector in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hi all,
I have a customer who wants his toilet replaced. I can see problems with it. (I'm likely to hand the job over to a more experienced plumber, and go along for 'work experience', but am interested to know how I could have proceeded).
It's an old installation with a cast-iron toilet connector linking the porcelain toilet outlet to the cast-iron soil/vent pipe.
I'm worried that I'll have problems removing the old toilet from the connector, and also in turn removing the connector from the soil pipe. (I'd like to put a new, plastic connector on). I suspect the joint will have seized solid on itself, and will be difficult to get apart.
Any advice and tips on this would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Jennie

If your replacing he toilet just break it to get it out, then cut the cast near the wall. It could be lead. Then get a suitable adaptor from cast to 110mm PVC. Multi quick do a few.

have you pic? regarding how much space you have. break carefully toilet outlet and then chip out rest from cast iron and use plastic adapter or cut with angle grinder as suggested. all depends on space really to not to have toilet too far from wall.

one more thing, dont be scared otherwise you wont learn much, just be careful with that cast iron and use PPE, thats it :p

You can use a grinder to cut most of it, then either a hacksaw (big not junior), or bang it very carefully with a hammer to finish it off, grease your multiquik right up, you may need your file/ screwdriver to scrape the inside of the pipe, then one big push & your in..........hopefully...

Hi all,
I have a customer who wants his toilet replaced. I can see problems with it. (I'm likely to hand the job over to a more experienced plumber, and go along for 'work experience', but am interested to know how I could have proceeded).
It's an old installation with a cast-iron toilet connector linking the porcelain toilet outlet to the cast-iron soil/vent pipe.
I'm worried that I'll have problems removing the old toilet from the connector, and also in turn removing the connector from the soil pipe. (I'd like to put a new, plastic connector on). I suspect the joint will have seized solid on itself, and will be difficult to get apart.
Any advice and tips on this would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Jennie
Good advice from all the above but as you have stated about tagging along to some one with more experience I believe you will learn more as he/she will talk you through the things that possibly go wrong and how to deal with them at the time good luck regards Turnpin

cast is a pain the derriere, however it will have a lead pipe that would have acted as the pan connector, if you remove the lead all the way back to the cast then a multikwik or the like can be greased up to the hilt and pushed home! just a bit of confidence is all it takes.

Hi all,
Thanks for your advice. I know a lot more about what I'm dealing with now. I've also found a neighbour/experienced plumber to team up with on it.
Hopefully in the future I'll be able to do all this stuff myself.
Jennie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to cast iron toilet connector in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I need to this cast iron pipe back as my new back to wall toilet won’t fit otherwise. Cutting it back i am going to lose the collar. So what...
Replies
Views
Good evening I've came across 90mm cast iron before and used mcalpine extB (90 to 110 extension) But what I have here kind of bellows out to...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We've got a toilet that's been leaking due to a faulty seal with the pan connector. We've had a plumber in to replace the pan connector...
Replies
Views
Dear colleagues , My name is Roohollah and an overseas Heating tech. I have recently collected some data on oldest cast iron boiler from UK...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a troublesome fixed 15mm copper pipe with isolation valve going to my toilet fill valve. It's too tight for a Flexi hose. Can I use...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock