Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss changing career to a plumber in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

benlester

Hi all

I am soon to be either made redundant or my job will be made part-time. I am considering doing a fast track plumbing course over the next few months with the view to then possibly become a plumber. I hav eseen that there are various courses on the market (eg New Career Skills, Access careers etc). Would it be realisitic to go down this route over the next few months and then expect to be able to start doing jobs on my own? I understand that experience is required and not just theory. Any advise out there from people who have done these courses and re-trainined would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

I've just finished a course with VIY (see the VIY threads) and yes there is work out there. If you already have DIY skills and like the work why shouldn't you get stuck in.
GOOD LUCK

If your finances are in good order you will probably be okay. I did a fast track course last year and have managed to earn enough profit to pay for it, my van, tools, stock, insurances, clothing, tax, etc.

BUT

That was last year

AND

I was very lucky to pick up a three month job and a few other good paying jobs. (March to September).

September to Christmas was okay, but mainly fixing taps, loos and small maintenance type jobs. About 1-2 a week paying £35 to £50 each job.

This year, January was a 2 day job arranged before Xmas. Then nothing.

February was three small jobs (one leaking pipe fixed in an hour), a leaking stop tap (15 minutes) and moving a kitchen sink (most of a day).

March was a week's work putting in a shower, enclosure and tiling. And another job for installing an electrical shower (1/2 day's work). And a third job (1 hour) renewing a cold water cistern ball valve.

Work is picking up a little now the weather's better, but it seems no one is interested in a new bathroom or kitchen or anything new. It's maintenance only on the whole.

If you look at my jobs above, it doesn't exactly pay the mortgage. The competition around here is nearly non existent but then so is the population .... more sheep than people, even after foot and mouth.

Most of my work comes from recommendation and when you're brand new (to anything, not just plumbing) it takes a while for your name to be known, then you've got to be good at your work and be good value to be recommended. It's not easy.

Course (cost £5,000+??) (plus VAT naturally!)
Van (plus VAT) (anything from around £1,500)
Tools (I'd suggest at least £300 will be needed for the first few jobs - buy as required, e.g. don't buy a second tool box until the first is too full)
Insurance - van and public liability
Accountant fees
Stock (at least £100 for some basic fittings, spare loo siphon, ball valve, garden tap, etc)

Total £8,000 for sake of argument.

How to pay for it ... look at my jobs above e.g. change ball valve, one hour. Ball valve costs say £5.00 and you charge £10. Fitting £25 including call out. Gross profit £35.00. Net profit £30.00.

Now the deductions:

Less petrol, less small amount of PTFE tape, less wear on a spanner (they sometimes need replacing too), less electricity for your washing machine to clean your clothes if you get mucky, less tax, less national insurance and less a few other things. Final profit around £10. Remember you need to pay for a service on the van, depreciation, advertising budget if you advertise, telephone bill, etc, etc.

'xcuse my maths ....!! So you need 8 x £10 = £80, 80 x £10 = £800, 800 x £10 = £8,000..... You need 800 customers like that to pay for your initial outlay.

That's why I suggested at the beginning, if your finances can see you through the start (especially in a recession) then go for it. On the brighter side, a recession is about the best time to start a business.

But be warned, it could be an expensive mistake if you haven't access to money to see you through the first year or two.

Choice is yours and I've painted a gloomy picture. But defy me and make a go of it!!

Best of luck!!!

Final note, for basic plumbing (e.g. small repairs) you don't need qualifications. If you don't touch electrics you don't need Part P, if you don't touch unvented hot water cylinders you don't need that part, you don't need to be CORGI registered if you don't touch gas (loads of plumbing without gas!), etc, etc.

If I had my time again and it was this year, I'd go on a short course where I learn to solder and bend pipes and a few principles on how water works around the house and then I'd buy a few books on the subject and pick easier jobs to begin with.

Hope this helps.

I agree with both suburban plumber and dontknowitall. I have completed the 10 week viy course and found it excellent, covering a huge range of subjects incl part p, water regs, unvented hot water, energy efficiency C & G and NVQ. I already had a van so that was not a cost for me.

You must be financially secure to carry you through the opening months, liability ins, van ins, road tax, buisness cards, flyers (which you can deliver yourself) and advertising, I'm advertising in the local paper at £25 per week at the moment, yellow pages is going to cost approx £260 for a year! in august, yell.com is free for a basic ad. Accountants fees, approx £300 if you want to start up a ltd company then £600ish per year...........

I'm raring to go and just waiting for the phone to ring which is a little frustrating. I enjoyed the course but keeping my fingers crossed the work comes flooding in, we as new plumbers are competing with well established plumbers so i think its your ability to wait it out, hope for a few breaks and advertise, this combined with keeping your costs as low as possible will bring success.

My advise in a nutshell, if your financially secure and want a change give it a go. If your not financially secure steer clear.....

sorry to be negative bu there isnt enough work out there. adverts calim there are loads of jobs if you retrain bt that isnt true, i know loads of plumbers either out of work or working for a very flat rate. i know some who have had their wages cut by 15%, or leave the company!
dont think a cert is a ob, ive had lots of people ask me if they are garaunteed a job if they pass

I did my training at The Plumbing Academy after loosing my job and I have not looked back at all I am now Gas safe registered and have a succesful and growing plumbing and heating business in the southeast. From plumbers I talk to the general domestic plumbers who do bathrooms and maintence are feeling the pinch but work is out there if you go get it. The advanced professional plumbers with City & Guilds 6129 level 3 with gas training and gas safe registered the work is still very much out there and in fact getting better. so if you are considering a change of career make sure you do the City & Guilds 6129 Level 3 course which includes gas training as well. The plumbing Academy web site has a good write up on the path to getting this training.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to changing career to a plumber in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Over the summer I completed a level 2 diploma in plumbing (City and Guilds 6035) with Able Skills and am now looking to complete the NVQ level 2...
Replies
Views
Hello All and thanks Lou i did write a reply but it would not let me send it? i am not sure what I am meant to write and I do not want to come...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am starting a gas training course next month ( PG1 ) which initially involves 12 full day classroom sessions ( theory and practical study )...
Replies
Views
We have a Glowworm BBU56F (back boiler). Its well-maintained/serviced and since we’ve been in the property (15 years) only the Thermocouple was...
Replies
Views
Hi all This is only about my third/fourth post, so go easy. Also, I'm only an enthusiastic amateur, not a pro... I'm having issues with the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock