Discuss Cold water mains pipe burst in cold weather - could be prevented with heating? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

familyguy

Just a general question but where a cold water mains pipe burst in our loft which did not have any lagging at all, could this have been prevented by having the heating on?

Much appreciated.

Cheers,

David

If your loft floor is sufficiently lagged and the roof well ventilated, probably not - it would have frozen anyway.

sorry to dissagree, but working as a subbie to a national plumbing company, i have seen burst cold supply pipes in attics on insurance call outs literally dozens of times over the past 20 yrs.
always the same thing, loft is lagged well, but some how a section or full run of pipework feeding headers or taking an up and over shortcut for a shower supply has not been lagged at all and is laid over the top of loft insulation..:rolleyes:
it WILL freeze if sufficiently cold, especially if water is standing in pipe for any time,will expand and split the copper or crack the plastic, and will then flood everyting below it when the ice plug thaws.
the only sure fire way to stop attic freezing is to get up there and lag all supply/feed pipes with decent thickness pipe lagging and header tanks with a bylaw kit at least.
what is worth remembering, is if loft insulation is correct and doing its job, the heat produced by the heating system WILL BE INSULATED AND KEPT BELOW THE ATTIC FLOOR so everything above, ie the attic space, will become chilly freezing!!
the only pipes that the central heating can protect are those within the direct area of heated dwelling space.
regards,
mark (down in not so sunny cornwall-darned global warming!!):)

Last edited by a moderator:
The only way it would have helped would have been if you had no fibre glass laid
in your loft and the loft hatch wide open, then maybe as you've hot hair rising into your loft. But if there was a cold draft blowing through then maybe not.

We not disputing all pipes should be lagged should be 19mm armaflex

This last winter was a real wakeupcall on many fronts to plumbers and householders alike.

1. Condensing boilers and their problems - installed properly in the right place they tended to be ok
step outside of the parameters - FAILURE

2. Frozen roof spaces and their equipment - water tanks roof fitted boilers etc SAME AGAIN its no good insulating a ceiling below the roof space and expecting the kit above to carry on working at

Perhaps the rules about insulation should be re- thought - anyway we kept all 10 of us fully occupied most of the cold time.

centralheatking

My conclusion - any pipework and the tanks should be UNDERNEATH the loft insulation, even if this means constructing a "hut" out of kingspan (just done this - looks a bit like a wendy house!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cold water mains pipe burst in cold weather - could be prevented with heating? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock