Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Decomissioning an oil boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all. Quick Q. Putting in an electric boiler for a customer. The now disused oil boiler is obviously still connected to the oil tank. Should there be a shut-off valve on the feed from the oil tank to the boiler somewhere? Ideally I just want to close the valve off then disconnect the old boiler, collecting any oil that drops out of the old boiler of course.

The disused boiler is in exactly the same place as where the new one is going to go basically!

I don't really do oil and if it's more technical than that I will get someone in but it's like finding hen's teeth getting OFTEC engineers around here and I want to keep the project moving.

Cheers in advance for any replies.

should leave oil boiler in situ, so that when the first leccie bill comes in they can turn the oil boiler back on!

LOL. Off peak electric is much cheaper than oil!

not much copp if its snowing for 2 weeks tho and they want hw and heat 24/7

The boiler I am installing is a 330 Litre storage cylinder basically that charges up on an E10 tariff. 3 hours in the afternoon and 7 overnight. This ensures there is plenty of heat in the cylinder to run the heating as required through the day, it covers HW too. They are great boilers and all my customers are well chuffed moving from oil to electric. They are all saving around ÂŁ500 per year.

The downside is the boiler costs the thick end of ÂŁ3,000.

Do you know how to isolate an oil boiler from the tank though?

Should be an isolation valve at the tank, turn it off and mechanically cap it there.

Isolate oil at tank and run the boiler till it locks out. Disconnect at the tank or boiler (whichever is lowest), tape a 2 litre bottle over the pipe and then disconnect the other end. Can always put the foot pump on to help blow it out.

Thanks. There is what looks like a valve of some sort on the outlet from the tank. I will photo it tomorrow to get your advice. The whole house is being gutted but I don't want an oil leak running into the house when I disconnect it.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Decomissioning an oil boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler...
Replies
Views
Any advice welcome as plumber stumped Had 36-46 grant vortex utility boiler 7 years no problem recently oil tank move and tigerloop install...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a wallstar combi oil fired boiler. We got low on oil a couple of weeks ago but didn't run out. Since we've had our oil delivered...
Replies
Views
I've a client with a rusty 20yr+ old Certikin 180 (44kw) oil pool boiler that needs changing. Certikins replacement looks like it is the exact...
Replies
Views
Hi there. I have Grant oil fired boiler which when cold, takes multiple times to fire up. It will run for say 20 or 30 seconds with hot exhaust...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock