Search the forum,

Discuss drilling hole in tile cracks my tile! in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

hi all

i need some help and advice

i am tiling around 2 shower pipe fittings. as the measurements were intricate i was practicing on off cuts and trying to create a template. I've noticed when i drill holes into the tiles sometimes they would crack. i don't use any pressure or drill too fast. anyway, the good news is that i have created the template down to the mm. however when creating the template a bit cracked. when i go on to making the holes on the proper tile i don't want that to crack, as i'm running out of tiles. why is it cracking and what can i do to prevent it

method: in this instance, i used my workmate bench and clamped it with G clamps around the tile. i clamped them enough to hold the tile steady, as opposed to over tightening the clamps.

thanks

finest1

Attachments

• tile2.jpg
    tile2.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 11
  • tile1.jpg
    tile1.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 10
Try putting a sponge underneath

I don't think G clamps around a tile to clamp it to the workmate is a good idea. The flatness of the tile and the flatness of the workmate are unlikely to be the same. The place to provide support is directly under where you are cutting, not anywhere else, and you can stop the tile rotating without clamping/bending it!

I usually put a bit of foam wedi board under the tile to absorb vibrations. But even a towel will do.

As others have said, no clamping. Could clamp a bit of 2x1 wood to the work bench to butt the tile against to stop movement.

Angle grinder bits/holesaws are vastly superior to drill ones. They allow the angle grinder closer to the tile, so you have more control. They also spin twice as fast as a drill.
I’ve got a nice 30ish mm one I use for shower outlets. Bit pricey tho for a one off, around £40.

I usually put a bit of foam wedi board under the tile to absorb vibrations. But even a towel will do.

As others have said, no clamping. Could clamp a bit of 2x1 wood to the work bench to butt the tile against to stop movement.

Angle grinder bits/holesaws are vastly superior to drill ones. They allow the angle grinder closer to the tile, so you have more control. They also spin twice as fast as a drill.
I’ve got a nice 30ish mm one I use for shower outlets. Bit pricey tho for a one off, around £40.

Try the shd ones mate around 15 off Amazon same quality as the rubi ones

hi all, thanks for your tips. i drilled the holes successfully.

if anyone reads this in the future, i did the following:

i used duct tape to tape the tiles together,
i rested the tile on a a damp to wet dishtowel, and rested the whole lot on ply wood
i then taped the whole thing to the workbench
i used a slow speed to cut into the tile. its hard to explain what slow was, but i did it by feel. it wasn't high speed drilling but a constant but medium speed. it basically took time to do. i didn't time it but it was definitely minimum 15 minutes. probably over kill but i didn't want to risk another cracked tile
i was constantly dropping cold water into the hole to keep the drill bit from heating
use patience and resist speeding up the drill!! that was the hard part,

oh, and perform in the shade. i was about to embark on the drilling in the sun, then thought "what if the sun heats up the tile whilst I'm drilling" so i moved it into the shade.

result: perfectly measured and cut tile

thanks

Reply to drilling hole in tile cracks my tile! in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock