Discuss electric shower vs. mains from dual cylinder submersion heater in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

B

Bubblepie

Hello, and thank you for reading. My partner and I have just purchased our first property that came with a dual cylinder electric water heater, and an electric shower in the bathroom. As it happens, the shower needs replacement, and we were thinking of removing the electric shower (Mira Sport) and get a mixer tap powered from the mains; we had a plumber over for a preliminary visit, and he said that it was a terrible idea, and that it would make my electricity bill upwards of £400 monthly. Is this correct? Is there a cost-effective alternative to the double cylinder heater?

Your plumber was correct, the mixer-tap idea is a non-starter.

Assuming that electricity is the only fuel available in the house, your options are an electric shower, like the Mira Sport, or a mixer shower that draws hot water from the tank. The latter offers the possibility of using cheap rate, e.g. Economy 7 or solar, electricity but requires a largish tank and a fairly spartan attitude to the length of time people can spend showering before the hot water runs out. If it's a vented tank you'll also need a fairly expensive pump to get a satisfactory shower.

I'd recommend getting a good quality brand, such as Mira, so that parts will be available if/when they are needed.

If you want to save money, which you probably do if this is your first property, select an 'eco' shower and have it running for the minimum possible time. Think 'commando' not 'Hollywood'.

Reply to electric shower vs. mains from dual cylinder submersion heater in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that...
Replies
Views
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read. I'm trying to work out if the idea I have is practical? The water pressure in my newly renovated...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
Hi Guy's, Looking for some advice on an issue I have having with a recently installed thermostatic mixer shower in my ensuite. Everything was...
Replies
Views
Back