Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss eless sapphire double feed indirect hot water unit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
rads getting hot when hw only is asked for....and a builder put a pump under the bath to increase pressure to shower not sure about this as it seems to be drawing water quicker than the unit can deal with any body came across a similar set up and does it work.?elson sapphire

Last edited:
If its the elson tank I'm thinking of with a small built in f & e tank it's probably being pumped dry.
Is the tank fully pumped or gravity hw

Sapphires have a thing like a spartan tank inside mounted high up. They work like a primatic tank. The pump will be dropping the water level low enough to mix the water.
Sticking a tap washer in the shower head (2 if it is a hose, one in each end) will probably slow the flow enough to stop that happening.

That doesn't explain why the rads work when on for hw. If it is only the upstairs rads that come on they are working on gravity and can be cured by fitting an anti gravity valve.
If all the rads heat and the pump comes on, someone has been at the wiring. The pump is wired from ch on through a room stat (if fitted). Boiler from hw on.

Sapphires have a thing like a spartan tank inside mounted high up. They work like a primatic tank. The pump will be dropping the water level low enough to mix the water.
Sticking a tap washer in the shower head (2 if it is a hose, one in each end) will probably slow the flow enough to stop that happening.

That doesn't explain why the rads work when on for hw. If it is only the upstairs rads that come on they are working on gravity and can be cured by fitting an anti gravity valve.
If all the rads heat and the pump comes on, someone has been at the wiring. The pump is wired from ch on through a room stat (if fitted). Boiler from hw on.
thanks for that tamz,it;s kinda what i thought but did not realise there like a primatic,what your saying makes sense and ii think more likly to be a wiring problem when rads come on

If you ever take one out cut it open with an angle grinder to see how they work. A pita getting rid of all the cork insulation tho.

If you ever take one out cut it open with an angle grinder to see how they work. A pita getting rid of all the cork insulation tho.
will do,if i had my way this one should come out .but not my choice,how will tap washers restrict flow in shower

Works like a flow restrictor.
Take the normal rubber washers out and put a half inch tap washer in its place. The hole in a tap washer is only 3 or 4mm so it restricts the flow. Most people don't notice the difference.

Works like a flow restrictor.
Take the normal rubber washers out and put a half inch tap washer in its place. The hole in a tap washer is only 3 or 4mm so it restricts the flow. Most people don't notice the difference.
i went to this job today and realized the pump was connected to the bath mixer shower tap, so the bath tap is drawing water from this elson sapphire at alarming rate,i got to half a bath and the pump started to scream having very little water traveling through it so i knocked it off,how can i put this right,no room for a break cistern,can't remove the elson,little or no flow rate without pump.any ideas

i went to this job today and realized the pump was connected to the bath mixer shower tap, so the bath tap is drawing water from this elson sapphire at alarming rate,i got to half a bath and the pump started to scream having very little water traveling through it so i knocked it off,how can i put this right,no room for a break cistern,can't remove the elson,little or no flow rate without pump.any ideas[/QUOT..........................................'/,.

i went to this job today and realized the pump was connected to the bath mixer shower tap, so the bath tap is drawing water from this elson sapphire at alarming rate,i got to half a bath and the pump started to scream having very little water traveling through it so i knocked it off,how can i put this right,no room for a break cistern,can't remove the elson,little or no flow rate without pump.any ideas[/QUOT..........................................'/,.
any idea's on this one..

You need to restrict the flow to the bath and increase the flow to the Elson,
A gate valve and a red insert (and a new washer) might work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to eless sapphire double feed indirect hot water unit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a fairly modern multifuel stove with a back boiler connected to a Elson Sapphire double feed indirect hot water tank and I need to...
Replies
Views
I have an Elson Sapphire double feed indirect hot water tank and I need to drain down the system to move some radiators. Would anyone be able to...
Replies
Views
Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a hot water cylinder which feeds 3 outlets (kitchen sink, basin in bathroom & bathtap) which has never had very good pressure (probably...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Is this set up correct: Attic stop valve turns off the cold water to my bathroom (I think it is the rising main in the attic which...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock