Discuss Fitting new bathroom basin waste in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Howdoi?

I have done something stupid.

I was clearing a blockage in my bathroom basin with a plunger. It has an annoying pop up plug that is opened by pushing it down rather than with a lever. I usually put a coin or something in it to hold it open if I am using a plunger, but forgot. To cut a short story even shorter I managed to use a plunger on a waste that had the plug in, resulting in the force pushing the plug down the waste and breaking it.

My questions (and I appreciate these are basic) are:

1. Are bathroom basin plugs a standard size?
  2. I presume I need to replace the whole waste? I assume that the plug was permanently attached in some way so a new pop up plug wouldn’t do the trick? This is a difficult one to answer without more detail but I presume pop up plugs without levers are standard mechanisms. If I put the plug back in now it disappears half an inch into the hole.
  3. Is it easy to remove the whole waste? The guides on the internet all relate to when you’re first fitting the basin, not when it is already anchored to the wall. It is almost as if not many people break their waste with a plunger!
  4. Is plumber’s mait adhesive? Is it going to be difficult to get that off once I remove the waste?

Any help or advice appreciated.

They are a standard size

Sprung Basin Waste Slotted | Basin Wastes | NoLinkingToThis

plumbers mate is just a putty and not abrasive,best not to use on new fitting though
just use a smear of silicon around backing nut,take your time not hard to replace just can be a bit fiddly

Last edited by a moderator:
hardest problem is access due to the pedestal I always use a basin mate on the bottom and plumbers gold underneath the top of the waste

Best solution is to remove the basin, fit a new waste and refit. Not always easy tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fitting new bathroom basin waste in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Desperately in need of help. Getting very annoyed with myself Replaced the click plug in my bathroom for a new Basin Slotted one along...
Replies
Views
Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm Birmingham Area Initial problem Burst pipe underground in bathroom, concrete. Have had this dug up...
Replies
Views
My bathroom Basin was installed some years ago by a professional plumber. For whatever reason, the waste was fitted using silicone rather than...
Replies
Views
HI, I'd very much appreciate advice on what I can do with this . . . The wash basin in the bathroom has a plug which sits on a piece which is...
Replies
Views
just put a new pop up waste into my basin to find the trap does not fit correctly.. the trap fits just inside the waste thread opening and butts...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock