Search the forum,

Discuss Flexis to pipe up bath in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey do many people use flexi's when piping a bath up, have always used copper but am tempted to start using flexi's for speed. But abit put of the the fact the 3/4 to 15mm flexis only have a 10mm bore.

The only time use them is if they come with the taps (basin) just more resistance tbh.

I use them all the time if on combi. Wouldnt on tanked tho. I will probably get sum stick for this but flexi's are ace

Ill admit it!!
I use them on baths. Basin taps if they come with them. I'd hard pipe a two tap hole basin though.

I find the rubber seal a real help with bath taps. If a tap connecter with a fibre washer isn't absolutely spot on it will squirt out.

Some toilets it's best to use a flexi as you have to snake it through the back of the pan.

Perhaps the mods could re-post flexible freddie's views -he was ace but got banned in the end
due to his too inflexible approach to flexies - CHK

If you are a plumber you will pipe it up, if you are not you will use a flexi, it's no excuse to say its difficult to pipe up, that's what separates the plumbers from the rest, ok most of the baths I've done are standard, but I've done many 100's, not sure if I've done 1000's, but I've done enough to know how to do it, and most of them were done before flexis were available, but even on the fancy baths with taps in the middle of the back wall it's very easy to hard pipe then drop the bath in then connect it up, flexis are not required

I find the rubber seal a real help with bath taps. If a tap connecter with a fibre washer isn't absolutely spot on it will squirt out.

Wipe Jet Blue Plus onto the fibre washer, as long as you don't cross thread it it won't leak.

insurers in Oz are going against flexis fm what I hear fm family over there, seems that the flood damage to my sisters place only just got paid out by insurers, she now has a note on her insurance docs stating damage due to flexi fittings is not covered! we will go the same way idc once they see the damage they can do when they fail :)

insurers in Oz are going against flexis fm what I hear fm family over there, seems that the flood damage to my sisters place only just got paid out by insurers, she now has a note on her insurance docs stating damage due to flexi fittings is not covered! we will go the same way idc once they see the damage they can do when they fail :)

Better not leave that filling loop connected then!!

Better not leave that filling loop connected then!!

never do, as youll probably find that since the water regs are being broken by doing so, your insurers will wriggle out off paying up, which is what I tell my custards, then its their choice :)

i use flexis on basins that have 1 tap and them 10-15mmmm copper tails, for the simple reason that you will not be able to change that tap witthout having a hell of a job, and it is tidyer to the eye, than trying to set them tails around the pop up waste mechanism!!!! i dont tend to use them on much else tho , if im doing a bath with taps on the bath i would never dream of using anything exept for 3/4"-22mm push fit tap connectors and a meter or o of plastic pipe to the front of the bath and 2 full bore 22mm lever valves, so if anything goes, its pannel off and easy acces to the isolators! then copper from the other side of the isolator! always solid pipe everything else, bust must admit that is easyer sometimes to connect them cr*ap plastic toilet fill valves with flexies that having them cross thread when trying to do them soild!!!!

i use copper, if i had to consider an alternative id prob use pushfit as the pushfit tap connectors are ace and doh leak when hand tight.

If you are a plumber you will pipe it up, if you are not you will use a flexi, it's no excuse to say its difficult to pipe up, that's what separates the plumbers from the rest
Fairplay, that's the biggest load of tosh i've read on here for a while. Having a superiority complex over your non-use of flexible hoses is borderline madness.

There is nothing wrong with using flexible hoses on bath taps.

it's very easy to hard pipe then drop the bath in then connect it up, flexis are not required

This is an attitude that I really, really don't like. Yeah, great, you can plumb a bath in using copper but when it comes to replacing the taps or fixing a leak, what then? Yes, that's right, you have to remove the bath and the tiling around it.

This attitude is all about ego and not about doing the best job you can. There is no excuse for plumbing something in that is then nigh on impossible to work on without uninstalling it first. I see no difference to this and the people who see nothing wrong with installing concealed showers with no thought to future repairs or replacement.

I know this is not an opinion shared by many but it really gets to me. As far as I'm concerned part of being a professional plumber is not just trying to make sure you install baths, showers etc. to work perfectly but to also ensure they can be worked on in the future, too.

Use the correct tool for the job.

This attitude is all about ego and not about doing the best job you can. There is no excuse for plumbing something in that is then nigh on impossible to work on without uninstalling it first............

Same goes for macerators and the plumbers / bathroom fitters who walk away laughing in the knowledge that some other poor sap like me will have to face it. I used to spend hours removing wooden boxing & tiles now I just refer customer back to the installer quoting "To be installed in such a manner that it is easily accessible" from the installation book.

Last edited:
If you are a plumber you will pipe it up, if you are not you will use a flexi, it's no excuse to say its difficult to pipe up, that's what separates the plumbers from the rest, ok most of the baths I've done are standard, but I've done many 100's, not sure if I've done 1000's, but I've done enough to know how to do it, and most of them were done before flexis were available, but even on the fancy baths with taps in the middle of the back wall it's very easy to hard pipe then drop the bath in then connect it up, flexis are not required
of course kirk meant to say if your a proper plumber you would have done them in lead personally i can do either depends on what the jobs paying but i still dont fit flexis to single taps as they will come loose in the basin,sink bath whatever

i still dont fit flexis to single taps as they will come loose in the basin,sink bath whatever

1284546349-06927800.jpg

If that is the case every house built over the past 10 years wont be covered in Western Australia,cannot do as much damage as overhere the majority of builds there are one storey,concrete slab and the bathrooms have a tiled floor with a floor gulley fitted,Aus plumbers wont go back to the dark days of brazing under basin cabinets

Fairplay, that's the biggest load of tosh i've read on here for a while. Having a superiority complex over your non-use of flexible hoses is borderline madness.

There is nothing wrong with using flexible hoses on bath taps.

As the above comment is your opinion it cannot be wrong, however the comment you are commenting on is my opinion, and I'm sticking to it, it honestly isn't a "superiority complex" it is a simple statement about my long learned plumbing skills, there isn't a place you can fit a flexi that I can't fit a pipe, I've heard too many horror stories about them failing and having "like a pound of mince" as we say up here, I prefer pipes to flexis, I don't have a problem with properly fitted plastic where it is beneficial but I just don't like doing things the lazy way, as I've been taught to do them properly, if that comes across as arrogant it isn't meant to,

This is an attitude that I really, really don't like. Yeah, great, you can plumb a bath in using copper but when it comes to replacing the taps or fixing a leak, what then? Yes, that's right, you have to remove the bath and the tiling around it.

This attitude is all about ego and not about doing the best job you can. There is no excuse for plumbing something in that is then nigh on impossible to work on without uninstalling it first. I see no difference to this and the people who see nothing wrong with installing concealed showers with no thought to future repairs or replacement.

I know this is not an opinion shared by many but it really gets to me. As far as I'm concerned part of being a professional plumber is not just trying to make sure you install baths, showers etc. to work perfectly but to also ensure they can be worked on in the future, too.

Use the correct tool for the job.

If we fit two baths, both with taps on the long side at the back, which I don't like for the reasons you stated, what's the difference to the guy coming to fix them if one is hard piped and one is done with flexis? There is still the issue with access and I firmly believe there is more chance of the one done with flexis leaking before the one in copper and end feed fittings, it isn't about my ego it's about my professional integrity and my endeavour to do the job to the best of my ability

What is the benefit in fitting a flexi over a pipe? It is more likely to fail, and reduces the flow to the tap

If that is the case every house built over the past 10 years wont be covered in Western Australia,cannot do as much damage as overhere the majority of builds there are one storey,concrete slab and the bathrooms have a tiled floor with a floor gulley fitted,Aus plumbers wont go back to the dark days of brazing under basin cabinets

$48000 worth of damage fm 1 flexi....................

funny thing I note is that they dont teach anyone how to pipe up baths and basins at college using flexis, must be a reason for that!

funny thing I note is that they dont teach anyone how to pipe up baths and basins at college using flexis, must be a reason for that!

There isn't any point in teaching apprentices to fit flexis there's no skill or effort required it is simply the easy option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flexis to pipe up bath in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down through slab and out through deadwork into a manhole. I will work out falls from manhole and set the height of the waste water system as required. For...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock