Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Flood in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Royal

I am a self employed Bench Joiner with limited plumbing skills. I helped a collegue plumb in a bathroom, the collegue knows I am not a qualified plumber. One of the connectors failed (plactic pipe) flooding the property and resulted in a claim being made against the collegue (£10,000). I was working as casual labour. Now the collegue want me to contribute to the £10,000. As he is the contractor am I to blame?

That's what public liability insurance is for. Don't leave home without it.

I take it that your 'colleague' isn't a plumber either?

I'd change my mobile number and move! This thread is a perfect example to newbees on the need for insurance.

The collegue happens to be my Brother. He is a carpenter. He should have Public L Insurance, but I have read that the insurance might not cover plastic.

Then get your brother to phone them and check the small print. Surely that's the first course of action?

Christ what did you & your brother do.....hammer nails into the pipe...

Think he has. That is why he is expecting me to contribute

Then I think you have two options. 1 is fall out with your brother and 2 is to contribute to the 10 grand. But you never really liked him anyway did you?!

It's not so easy this plumbing lark is it?

Trying not to sound too smug, but you may find that your brother's insurance won't cover it. When you say a plastic connection failed did you use inserts in the pipe and pressure test the installation to the pressure recommended by the manufacturer?

As i said earlier. on of the connectors failed. What I need to know is who is at fault? the contactor or his employee (me)?

My thoughts excatly. Inserts were used through out but don't think a pressure test was done.

Bottom line is mate if he was the contractor then he is the one they will chase for money now. But it also comes down to decency and family loyalty.

Ultimately contractor at fault. He should have had public liability and employers liability.

Can't he get in and put the damage right and bypass the insurance side. It'll be a lot cheaper.

It puts you in a difficult position though with it being your brother.

Like your man AP said, help out as you fitted it or bale out....choices choices...

would he pay if shoe was on the other foot ? do you think yourself you should pay ?

Dilema, the flood happened over X-mas 2011, client had to get an emergency plumber out on boxing day, must be a lot of damage for 10k

if i built a staircase with my colleague and it fell apart and caused damage and i was contractor i dont think i would chase him for the money. because end of the day i know hes not a joiner neither am i

The legal situation depends on exactly where the contract(s) exist, and their nature.

For example, I am assuming that your brother had a contract with the client, and therefore owed them a duty of care. This doesn't have to be a written document - a contract can be established verbally, or inferred from actions (like doing the work and accepting payment).

In terms of your contractual relationship with your brother, it depends on the terms that you were working on. If he was paying you a day rate of £xx to help with the job, then I don't think he has any legal claim on you. On the other hand, if you agreed to work for a share of the profit, then he may have a case that you were a party to the contract with the customer.

Legal arguments and family don't mix very well.

if i built a staircase with my colleague and it fell apart and caused damage and i was contractor i dont think i would chase him for the money. because end of the day i know hes not a joiner neither am i

his brother not a plumber either, probable cash job......

We had done her kitchen a few months before and went back to refurbish the bathroom. all new stuff. My bro project managed the job. All on the books.

Thanks for your input. Now to decide wether to contribute or not. Maybe give him back the £80 per day over 5 days.

end of the day he has no legal grip on you if you where being paid per day as ray has stated. i know it doesnt help know but if the insurence says no to plastic then cover your own back and dont use it. i have seen a few bathrooms completed by joiners and the quality has been good but you need to have some experiance or training on the plumbing even if it is basic. plastic pipe is easy to work with and isnt to hard to get right if you remeber the inserts but somehow it hasnt gone right for you.

Tell him to go bust..... Then start up again. They won't get anything then. Don't you watch cowboy builders?? lol
I would also be wanting independent expert reports verifying this £10,000 in damage. The customer could be pulling a fast one on the value.

What's happened to family loyalty?

if this happened with me and my brother we'd help each other. I don't understand this should I legally have to pay. Legally maybe not, but morally yes.

The bottom line is, you shouldn't do things your not qualified to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flood in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
B
Hi All, I am a 16 year old school leaver (Sept 23) looking for a local company to take me on as an apprentice plumber. I live in Benfleet and am...
Replies
Views
Billy Barnard
B
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock