Discuss Flood in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Royal

I am a self employed Bench Joiner with limited plumbing skills. I helped a collegue plumb in a bathroom, the collegue knows I am not a qualified plumber. One of the connectors failed (plactic pipe) flooding the property and resulted in a claim being made against the collegue (£10,000). I was working as casual labour. Now the collegue want me to contribute to the £10,000. As he is the contractor am I to blame?

Ultimately contractor at fault. He should have had public liability and employers liability.

Can't he get in and put the damage right and bypass the insurance side. It'll be a lot cheaper.

It puts you in a difficult position though with it being your brother.

Dilema, the flood happened over X-mas 2011, client had to get an emergency plumber out on boxing day, must be a lot of damage for 10k

if i built a staircase with my colleague and it fell apart and caused damage and i was contractor i dont think i would chase him for the money. because end of the day i know hes not a joiner neither am i

The legal situation depends on exactly where the contract(s) exist, and their nature.

For example, I am assuming that your brother had a contract with the client, and therefore owed them a duty of care. This doesn't have to be a written document - a contract can be established verbally, or inferred from actions (like doing the work and accepting payment).

In terms of your contractual relationship with your brother, it depends on the terms that you were working on. If he was paying you a day rate of £xx to help with the job, then I don't think he has any legal claim on you. On the other hand, if you agreed to work for a share of the profit, then he may have a case that you were a party to the contract with the customer.

Legal arguments and family don't mix very well.

if i built a staircase with my colleague and it fell apart and caused damage and i was contractor i dont think i would chase him for the money. because end of the day i know hes not a joiner neither am i

his brother not a plumber either, probable cash job......

We had done her kitchen a few months before and went back to refurbish the bathroom. all new stuff. My bro project managed the job. All on the books.

end of the day he has no legal grip on you if you where being paid per day as ray has stated. i know it doesnt help know but if the insurence says no to plastic then cover your own back and dont use it. i have seen a few bathrooms completed by joiners and the quality has been good but you need to have some experiance or training on the plumbing even if it is basic. plastic pipe is easy to work with and isnt to hard to get right if you remeber the inserts but somehow it hasnt gone right for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flood in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock